We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety around Poas Volcano and La Paz Waterfall Garden

Northern Virginia
Level Contributor
52 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Safety around Poas Volcano and La Paz Waterfall Garden

I am traveleing with my family in June and plan to spend 1 night at Poas Lodge, visiting Poas Volcano and La Paz Waterfall Gardens.

Recent post to this forum have made me question whether this is a safe area to travel to. If not, what are the concerns? Earthquakes, road construction?

Paris, France
Level Contributor
562 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safety around Poas Volcano and La Paz Waterfall Garden

There is no problem going to Poas Volcano (I am not sure about the location of Poas Lodge). The area around La Paz waterfall was hardest his in the earthquake last year. The roads are still being repaired, and while the road to La Paz Waterfall is open, it is not in good shape. The postings that you are referring to suggested that people avoid going to the area around La Paz Waterfalls due to the road conditions.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,303 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safety around Poas Volcano and La Paz Waterfall Garden

Getting to Poas Volcano Lodge...is not a problem...where is not good idea to go is down to La paz waterfalls and around Peace Lodge...a lot of road construction...even that the Hotel is trying to minimize the safety issue...still high risk.

Just buckle up and enjoy the ride in PARADISE!

Northern Virginia
Level Contributor
52 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safety around Poas Volcano and La Paz Waterfall Garden

Thanks, that makes me feel better. I was afraid they were still having tremors or something life threatening.

Alajuela
Destination Expert
for Alajuela
Level Contributor
322 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safety around Poas Volcano and La Paz Waterfall Garden

There is absolutely no problem as far as La Paz - the roads are fine - we were up there a month ago in a big van without barely a bump in the road. The rebuild at La Paz is going very well - we took a bunch of kids from the local school so how dangerous can it be :-))

Have a great trip,

Berni

Alajuela

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,303 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safety around Poas Volcano and La Paz Waterfall Garden

Berni I do respect your opinion...but I was there last Friday 3 DAYS AGO and let me tell you...even that I make my living driving people around our country...and I have been doing that for well over 40 years I will not recomend anybody to try to drive around there...Kids are like tourist...they have no idea where are they are going...that is how dangerous it can be!

Roadadvisor

Alajuela
Destination Expert
for Alajuela
Level Contributor
322 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Safety around Poas Volcano and La Paz Waterfall Garden

The road, to la Paz waterfall gardens (and to Poas) which is my understanding of the question, is perfectly fine. Beyond La Paz is closed.

The person was concerned for their safety with quakes and such and there is no concern at all IMHO. There are no tremors (other than the ongoing normal life in a country on a load of fault lines). We have been up many times since the quake last January . . . particularly to the previously badly damaged Poasito school, now a marvelous model school which we are encouraging our guests to visit s well as to support the local area and economy.

I stand by my response . . . I'd send my wife's grandma up there :-)

Berni

Texas
Destination Expert
for Arenal Volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos
Level Contributor
6,316 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Safety around Poas Volcano and La Paz Waterfall Garden

The earthquake was a year ago, so I wouldn't worry about tremors. If you can, try to be at the Waterfall Gardens when they do the hummingbird feedings in the Hummingbird Garden. They will actually come land on your hand and sip nectar - pretty amazing experience. They have about 25 varieties of hummingbirds in their garden.

brooklyn
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Safety around Poas Volcano and La Paz Waterfall Garden

we were scheduled to stay at peace lodge on february 10th (just learned about earthquake and now assume that we will be changing plans). we were going there and then selva verde followed by monteverde and arenal. We have 2 young kids so we want to minimize driving and of course dangerous roads. any recommendations if we should just find a place near monteverde for a few nights? or still consider heading up to selva verde? any suggested driving paths?

Thanks!

Texas
Destination Expert
for Arenal Volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos
Level Contributor
6,316 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Safety around Poas Volcano and La Paz Waterfall Garden

brooklyn, I don't know that you need to change your plans. The Peace Lodge is still getting consistently good reviews. The hotel itself didn't sustain that much damage.

Alajuela
Destination Expert
for Alajuela
Level Contributor
322 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Safety around Poas Volcano and La Paz Waterfall Garden

I don't understand where this information is coming from - I'll repeat the road to La Paz is perfectly fine . . . you'll have far more fun on the roads around Monteverde.

We have guests going from here (Alajuela) to La Paz every day - haven't lost one yet, Berni :-)