We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what to do in alajuela

Which Alajuela hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
newport, ky
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Topic
what to do in alajuela

I will be arriving in Alajuela around 9:30am on my last day in Costa Rica and will be staying at the Airport Bed and Breakfast. Does anybody have any suggestions for things to do in or near Alajuela but outside of San Jose? I know that Poas is close but I was wondering if there were any other suggestions out there. I don't want a full day activity but something that I could do for a few hours. I already plan on going into the city of Alajuela and checking out the square and the cathedral. I will also be relying on public transportation. Any advice?

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,110 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: what to do in alajuela

Doka Coffee tour...is a full tour...they will pick you up at your B and B!

Roadadvisor

Just buckle up and enjoy the ride in PARADISE!

Seoul, South Korea
Level Contributor
876 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: what to do in alajuela

Maybe you could visit the town of Grecia that is fairly nearby.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: what to do in alajuela

The Butterfly Farm. Not only can you see many, many butterflies but check out the plants that they use and see how they are raised.

www.butterflyfarm.co.cr/index.php…

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,110 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: what to do in alajuela

Anothe popular tour out of Alajuela...SARCHI...souvenir mecca !

Roadadvisor

Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
12,945 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: what to do in alajuela

www.dokaestate.com best coffee plantation tour in CR

very close on your way to Poas consider a combo.

also www.warefallgardens.com little farther away but nice.

Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
12,945 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: what to do in alajuela

oops www.waterfallgardens.com

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
4 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: what to do in alajuela

Cafe Britt's coffee tour is nearby, too (http://www.coffeetour.com). And Gray Line Costa Rica's One Day Tours can be a good value. (http://www.graylinecostarica.com).

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,110 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: what to do in alajuela

Zoo Ave is a nice bird Zoo by la Garita...nice area.

Luis

Westlake, Ohio
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: what to do in alajuela

Absolutely try to do Poas. The National Park is beautiful and the view of the volcano is something I'll never forget.

The scenery on the trail leading to the edge of the volcano is amazing and you'll be amazed as to how lush the grennery is.

A tip... I went with my girlfriend (now fiancee). The entrance fee for nationals is much less than for US visitors, so if you have someone with you that is a resident or fluent, let them pay for the entrance fee. Residents pay only 4000 Colones - a great bargain!

10. Re: what to do in alajuela

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, June 30, 2010