We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

place to purchase dvd videos for kids in alajuela?

Seattle WA
Level Contributor
42 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
place to purchase dvd videos for kids in alajuela?

hi

we need to replace some of our stolen goods.. we are going back to alajuela to drop off our rental car and need to purchase some dvds for our kids to watch on the flights back. we tried the big international mall near the airport but no luck. any alajuela expert can share where to puchase some kids movies or shows in town before we hop on our plane trip back?

we are currently in manual antonio/quepos and cant find anything here.. we are going back via orotina/jaco.. so any pointers in any of these places would be great..

the robbery story for another day... thanks for your help, muchos gracias..

we leave this sunday the 13th so any reply soon would be appreciated.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
569 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: place to purchase dvd videos for kids in alajuela?

Sorry to hear your things were stolen. As far as DVDs go, you need to keep in mind that DVDs and DVD players are set up to regional standards. The U.S. and Canada are in region 1 while from Mexico on south is region 4. What does that mean? It means that your U.S. purchased DVD players will likely not be able to play legal DVDs sold in Costa Rica (unless you can find multiregional DVDs). There are ways to unlock DVD players to play DVDs from other regions, but in my experience, this does not always work (I live here and unknowingly purchased a region 4 DVD player but my DVDs are region 1), and there are likely some places selling region 1 DVDs as many DVD rental stores will rent region 1 DVDs. If you want to take a chance and purchase DVDs I would suggest going into a Hipermas or Automarcado store, though I don't of their locations around Alajuela.

Two things to keep in mind:

DVDs will likely be more expensive here than in the U.S.

There was a time when there were no DVDs to watch during travel, and yet we all survived

Playa Hermosa...
Destination Expert
for Manuel Antonio, Jaco
Level Contributor
1,428 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: place to purchase dvd videos for kids in alajuela?

I just received information re: a garage sale in the Quepos/MA area today, 12/12. The info is below. Best of luck and remember to take into consideration what elgato wrote above. It definitely poses a problem if the systems are not in "sync". Lisa in MA

BIG GARAGE SALE

Saturday 12 of December 10am-4pm

INVU of Quepos 2nd Entrance 2nd Speed Bump

We are Cleaning out our Home Closet, Office Space and Patio of anything we don't need any more.

¡Low Prices to Sell Ítems Quickly! !We want to sell it all tomorrow!

Waters of Victoria Secret 6,00 each or 2 for 10,000, Stuffed Animals 100-500 each, DVDs 200-2,000 each, Clothes 200-500 colones per item, Deep Fryer 5,000, Electric Canopener 3,000, Videogames- Originals and Copies of XBox, Gameboy y PS2 2,000 each, New Cordless Telephone 15,000, PlayStation 2 40,000, MP4 1gb 15,000, HP USB Flash Drive 4gb 6,000, Laptop Compaq 110,000, Large Clamp 5,000, New Printer 12,000, lots of clothes and household items and much more.

If you need it we preobably have it for sale!

More Info 8338-6395

Seattle WA
Level Contributor
42 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: place to purchase dvd videos for kids in alajuela?

elgato, lisa

thank you very much for the info.. i will try the garage sale and the regional info is appreciated..

we have considered going dvd less and obviously we will survive, it will just make the journey much smoother considering we have two 3 yr old twins.. more sympathy for my fellow pax than for ourselves. grin...

4. Re: place to purchase dvd videos for kids in alajuela?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, June 11, 2010