We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Poas, La Paz and Braulio aerial tram

Level Contributor
143 posts
91 reviews
Save Topic
Poas, La Paz and Braulio aerial tram

I am planning our last day in CR and was considering going to Poas early in the morning, then the Paz waterfalls and ending with the aerial tram near Brauilio Carrillo. Is this reasonable? Is the tram a good way to see wildilfe or is it disneyesk? I would appreciate any input! Thanks in advance.

Paraiso,Costa Rica
Level Contributor
52 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Poas, La Paz and Braulio aerial tram

I think it's too much for you, especially if you are driving a rental car. It is doable, but you will feel a bit rushed. I did it last July with 3 clients in my 4 X 4 Land Rover Discovery, but boy was I pressured. You would have to leave by 6:30am to be able to wing it.

Figure 1 hr 45 minutes SJO-Poas Volcano NP (without any stops). Another 1 hr. 45 minutes at the park to do the trails, see both craters and get an excellent hot chocolate at the cafeteria.

Then 45 minutes to La Paz Waterfall gardens. Careful! The road is not in the best of conditions!! You could easily spend 3 hrs just at La Paz Waterfall gardens, plus they also have an excellent lunch buffet. Then it would take at least 2 hr 30 minutes to get to Rain forest Aerial Tram near Braulio Carrillo NP. They close at 4PM. Then it's an 1hr. 15 minutes back to SJO. Then add on more time if there is traffic, accidents and or landslides on the Braulio Carrillo Hwy.

Buena suerte amigo!

Antigua, Guatemala
Level Contributor
2,958 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Poas, La Paz and Braulio aerial tram

Hi,

I would do Poas, and La Paz. Brauilio Carrillo is on the other side of the volcano.

However, to make a complete day you can add Doka Coffee Estate to the Poas and La Paz day!

You'll love it!

Hope this helps,

Marina K. Villatoro

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
47,169 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Poas, La Paz and Braulio aerial tram

Way to much...driving...maybe just Poas and the waterfalls...please be sure that the road to the waterfall is open...even that if is open is risky to drive there...my personal opinion is not to go there is like asking for trouble...

The Tram is boring...wild life...maybe in a magazine...I have been there a few times...great place to sleep!

Just buckle up and enjoy the ride in PARADISE!

Paris, France
Level Contributor
568 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Poas, La Paz and Braulio aerial tram

roadadvisor is right about the tram...my wife finally convinced me to ride it two months ago....I feel asleep....and wildlife = insects

tucson, az
Level Contributor
4,016 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Poas, La Paz and Braulio aerial tram

I liked the tram. We didn't see a lot of wildlife (a bullet ant and a blue morpho and a sloth), but the guide was helpful with plant identification and it was enjoyable.

But the tram is something that I would do first thing in the morning as it looks like a place where crowds build up fast.

Level Contributor
143 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Poas, La Paz and Braulio aerial tram

Thank you everyone! It is so helpful to get advise from people who have been there! I think we will stick to Poas and the waterfalls and add the coffee plantation and be very happy. Thanks again!

7. Re: Poas, La Paz and Braulio aerial tram

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, March 21, 2010