We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

car rental return early a.m.

Which Alajuela hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Georgia
Level Contributor
658 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
car rental return early a.m.

Hi everyone,

I apologize for this post, because I realize that various versions of the car rental vs. private driver question have been posted ad nauseum...but here goes.

After reading all the posts, we have tentatively decided to rent a car from SJO for the leg of our trip that involves going to La Fortuna and then Alajuela (after spending 4 days in the Osa Pensinsula)....I'm confident that the roads are OK, if we stick to daytime driving, just a straight shot from SJO to Arenal and back to Alajuela.... and cheaper than hiring a driver.... (right?)

OK--but we have a very early flight out of SJO (need to be there by 5:30) and I'm wondering how long it takes, hassle, etc. of returning the car that morning-- especially if we rent off-site, to save the airport surcharge. (by the way, I assume we'd need to take a taxi to the off-site rental car places? Or do they all have free shuttle service from the airport?) Would y'all suggest returning the car a day early? We're staying at Xandari that last night, and they have free transportation to/from the airport...

If we end up doing that, then I'm probably going to rethink whether it would just be better to hire a driver for SJO-Arenal and then from Arenal-Alajuela... we're only spending 2 days in the Arenal area, and I really think we could get by without a car there anyway....

Thanks for any suggestions!

Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
12,945 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: car rental return early a.m.

Always turn in the night before an early flight

not enough time businesses not open in early AM.

Usually have the rental car folks drop me at the

www.adventure-inn.com

cheap close to airport free cab in the next AM

paid for by the hotel.

www.interbusonline.com

might be another option for you

but for me the flexibility of having a car is great.

usually can pick up a 2WD from $200/wk if careful

Georgia
Level Contributor
658 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: car rental return early a.m.

Thanks! That is very helpful info. If we do rent a car, we'll definitely return it before the morning we need to leave.....

A nice place
Level Contributor
802 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: car rental return early a.m.

I had my car delivered and picked up at the airport by Wild Rider. They checked the car when they picked it up, took 10 minutes max. They charged me $20 for the delivery of the car.

Georgia
Level Contributor
658 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: car rental return early a.m.

Thanks, Mark. So, do you think that Wild Rider could pick up our car from an Alajuela area resort (Xandari-- 15 minutes from the airport)?? If so we would have them do that the day before, and then have the resort shuttle guy take us to the airport the next morning for our flight.....

Alajuela
Destination Expert
for Alajuela
Level Contributor
318 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: car rental return early a.m.

Who on earth is wild rider? Did you ask them?

Berni

Alajuela

Georgia
Level Contributor
658 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: car rental return early a.m.

Of course, that would have been my next question-- before I follow up to see whether they are legit ;-)

A nice place
Level Contributor
802 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: car rental return early a.m.

I guess they would do it. At first we planned that they would pick up the car at our hotel in Alajuela, than we decided it would be easier to just drop it off at the airport.

"Who on earth is wild rider? Did you ask them?" www.wild-rider.com

Georgia
Level Contributor
658 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: car rental return early a.m.

Thanks for the info. After looking at all our options we've decided just to take the Interbus from SJO-Arenal and then rent a car for a couple of days while in the Arenal area.....

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
944 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: car rental return early a.m.

The Xandari has a free shuttle to the airport... and most car rental places will either pick up your car at the hotel the evening before, or you could just drop it off the evening before your flight.

We usually just leave the car with the hotel to deal with returning in the a.m. and take the shuttle to the airport, but maybe you're not comfortable with not checking the car back in yourself (we've never had any trouble, the hotels are very responsible and this is something they are accoustomed to doing).

Xandari will also prepare a breakfast-to-go package for you with fruit and muffins, much better than the airplane food.

Georgia
Level Contributor
658 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: car rental return early a.m.

Thanks, rmaria. We were aware of Xandari being willing to pick us up/drop off at airport... we contacted them about actually picking us up at the Interbus stop (returning from Arenal-- Green Turtle souvenir shop location) and then taking us to the airport a couple of days later (this was after we decided to just take Interbus to Arenal instead of driving)....

but your info about rental car places being willing to pick up the night before, from places like Xandari is very useful... becuase if that's the case, we might rethink our decision and rent a car instead for the whole time....

Also glad to hear about the breakfast, packed to go!!! ;-)

By the way, since you've stayed at Xandari, can you tell me what kind of "dress" is expected for dinner at their restaurant?? We are packing VERY light and will mostly just have hiking clothes. Hope that will be OK......