We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alajuela on a Sunday afternoon

Granger, IN
Level Contributor
304 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
Alajuela on a Sunday afternoon

We'll be arriving at SJO around 2:30 Sunday afternoon. We're staying at La Romantica that evening, and wondering what there is to do in the area on a Sunday afternoon/early evening or will everything be closed?

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
40 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Alajuela on a Sunday afternoon

Not sure what your interests are, or what is specifically open on sunday afternoon/evening, but, I was just in Alajuela 2 weeks ago and we spent out last evening at the mall, watched a funny movie (tickets and snacks are super cheap and the food is the best!) and shopped a little. We went to international mall between the airport and san jose. It was a fun experience since I've never gone to a shopping center in Central America. There were a lot of yummy looking upscale restaurants as well as a food court and they have great shops with decent prices. We were so tired from all of our adventures over the previous 8 days that it was nice to relax and watch a movie. Have fun!

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
40 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Alajuela on a Sunday afternoon

Just to clarify...there are 2 malls (that I know of)on the highway that runs between the airport and san jose. One is Mall Internacional which looked pretty run down, and a nice one between san jose and airport behind a McDonalds...it's huge and it's modern. I believe it was the "Plaza Real Cariari".

Granger, IN
Level Contributor
304 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Alajuela on a Sunday afternoon

Thanks, Serenity, for that suggestion.

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
5,360 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Alajuela on a Sunday afternoon

Zoo Ave is a nice option, as would be Sarchi + Grecia.

Alajuela
Destination Expert
for Alajuela
Level Contributor
322 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Alajuela on a Sunday afternoon

Mom5,

As a local resident I must argue against my fellow contributors a bit . . . as a visitor, Costa Rica is the last place I'd go shopping. Yes do Zoo Ave . . . this zoo is one of the only ones on the planet that makes sense . . . if you are at Vina Romantica you are about 10km away so it is not "round the corner". There is very little in the neighborhood to do on a sunday . . . a dinner overlooking the valley may be had 500 meters down the hill.

Berni

Alajuela

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,303 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Alajuela on a Sunday afternoon

I will really like to give you some suggestions...but for the time of the day, the day(sunday), the location of your hotel (Alajuela)...the person that can really help you with the best advice...LA ROMANTICA!!

Good dinner that night...good book...and ready to start my vacation MONDAY!!

Luis Road Advisor

Just buckle up and enjoy the ride in paradise!

7. Re: Alajuela on a Sunday afternoon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:15 am, October 07, 2009