We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Quickest drive from SJO to San Carlos/Quesada - Aguas Zarcas

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
811 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Quickest drive from SJO to San Carlos/Quesada - Aguas Zarcas

Hi - Can someone tell me what the quickest - not necessarily most scenic - route is from SJO to San Carlos? About how long is the drive?

We'll take the scenic route on the way back, but we want to get there before nightfall.

Thanks!

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
811 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Quickest drive from SJO to San Carlos/Quesada - Aguas Zarcas

By the way, I realize this sort of question has been asked a million times on this forum, but I keep seeing such DRASTIC differences from other sources. I've seen it can take anywhere from one hour to three and half to get to San Carlos (Ciudad Quesada) - that's a big, big discrepancy - I'm just trying to get a realistic idea.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,099 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Quickest drive from SJO to San Carlos/Quesada - Aguas Zarcas

San Jose to Ciudad Quesada in San Carlos...San Jose/NAranjo/Zarcero/La Vieja/Ciudad Quesada , San Carlos (even that San Carlos is a whole area...some people refer to San Carlos when they talk about Ciudad Quesada)

And to get to Aguas Zarcas/from/San Jose...I will take the road to Poas...Vara Blanca...Peace Lodge...Sarapiqui Cinchona, and down to Aguas Zarcas!

Luis Road Advisors

Just buckle up and enjoy the ride in paradise!!

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
9,091 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Quickest drive from SJO to San Carlos/Quesada - Aguas Zarcas

These basic maps might help: www.govisitcostarica.com/travelInfo/mapLg.asp and govisitcostarica.com/travelinfo/mapLg.asp…

The answers are widely varying because it depends if you're starting in downtown San Jose or SJO which is west of the city. Both Rtes 141 and 142 climb way up into the hills and fog can descend sometimes reducing travel times to a crawl. Several sites indicate that San Carlos is 1-2 hours from San Jose but I think that timetable is very optimistic.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
811 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Quickest drive from SJO to San Carlos/Quesada - Aguas Zarcas

Thanks. I think I'm going to end up closer to Aguas Zarcas, so I think going up via Poas Volcano might be the best route - thanks for the suggestions!

5. Re: Quickest drive from SJO to San Carlos/Quesada - Aguas Zarcas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:20 pm, September 14, 2009