We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Book On TripAdvisor Bonus Book your hotel on TripAdvisor — then save 20% on things to do for your trip. Use code BOOKTOSAVE.

What to see and stop for on our Atlanta to Tuscaloosa drive

Which Tuscaloosa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Littleton, CO
Level Contributor
265 posts
3 reviews
What to see and stop for on our Atlanta to Tuscaloosa drive

We are going to the Alabama vs. CSU football game this weekend. Hoping they don't crush us too badly. Would like input on what to see on our drive in from Atlanta. We will be driving on Friday and have the whole day.

6 replies to this topic
Gulf Shores, Alabama
Level Contributor
1,104 posts
498 reviews
1. Re: What to see and stop for on our Atlanta to Tuscaloosa drive

Try Moundsville. Ancient burial sites, mounds and temple complex. It is not far from T-Town or Birmingham.

Littleton, CO
Level Contributor
265 posts
3 reviews
2. Re: What to see and stop for on our Atlanta to Tuscaloosa drive

OK----how about this question? Do we take Hwy 20 straight to Birmingham (burial sites etc...) on the way to Tuscaloosa or is it more scenic and activity to go a little out of our way and take 85 to Auburn and Montgomery taking hwy 65 up to Birmingham?

Birmingham, AL
Level Contributor
11 posts
8 reviews
3. Re: What to see and stop for on our Atlanta to Tuscaloosa drive

There are a number of things along the way. A few that I can think of off the top of my head:

- The International Motorsports Hall of Fame at the Talladega Superspeedway

- The Anniston Museum of Natural History and Berman museum in Anniston

- Barber Motorsports Park and Museum in Leeds

- A number of things in Birmingham: Civil Rights Museum, Southern Museum of Flight, Alabama Theater, McWane Center

Millbrook, Alabama
Destination Expert
for Birmingham
Level Contributor
1,671 posts
3 reviews
4. Re: What to see and stop for on our Atlanta to Tuscaloosa drive

I would stick to I-20 West and check out some of the places listed in post #3. What I would specifically recommend is stopping first at the Barber Motorsports Park. The museum is amazing with vintage motorcycles and race cars. You can tour the race track which hosts Indy races. Many drivers and those in the industry call it the most beautiful road course in the world. You could then do lunch at the Irondale Cafe which was the inspiration for the Fannie Flagg book and movie Fried Green Tomatoes. Then a stop at the Civil Rights Institute would be a great way to see some of the history of Birmingham and how far we have come. Other places to see downtown include the Alabama Theater, Linn Park, 16th Street Baptist Church and Railroad Park. Then it is about another hour drive to Tuscaloosa. If you want to grab dinner before getting to Tuscaloosa, stop at the Bright Star in Bessemer which is on the way from Birmingham to Tuscaloosa.

Athens, Alabama
Level Contributor
3,670 posts
375 reviews
5. Re: What to see and stop for on our Atlanta to Tuscaloosa drive

Tannehill State Park off of I-20 just west of Bessemer is a great place to visit. There you will find the Iron and Steel Museum, Civil War blast furnaces, grist mill, cotton gin, pioneer farm and more.

http://www.tannehill.org/activities.html

Littleton, CO
Level Contributor
265 posts
3 reviews
6. Re: What to see and stop for on our Atlanta to Tuscaloosa drive

Great ideas, thank you!

Reply to: What to see and stop for on our Atlanta to Tuscaloosa drive
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted