We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 week China trip in mid Oct 2007

Which Shanghai hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
oregon USA
8 posts
Save Topic
3 week China trip in mid Oct 2007

A friend and I are traveling to China starting in mid October this year for ~ 3 weeks. By looking at various postings it appears best to: A.) plan a trip w/o a tour company altho a local guide that is well recommended sounds delightful B.) don't try to see or go to too many places in one visit C.) listen to the locals and possibly Lonely Planet guide book for best places to see/activities to go to. Trying to keep this in mind, what do you think of a tentative plan to stay in Beijing for 4 nights, Xian for 4 nights, Shanghai (with side trips) for 4 nights and then on to visit friends for 4 nights in Guangzhou, finishing in Hong Hong for probably 3 nights and flying out from there? I have heard one name consistently as a guide for Beijing, another briefly mentioned for Xion, but no ideas for a local guide for Shanghai. Any recommendations? It appears that if you set hotels and in country flights up with a local, licensed guide you get much better pricing as well. Are these prices better than what you found on elong and ctrip? Thanks in advance for any advise. We are really looking forward to this adventure!

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
1,412 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 week China trip in mid Oct 2007

In my opinion, too many days in Xian and Guangzhou.

oregon USA
8 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 week China trip in mid Oct 2007

We could certainly cut the Xian trip shorter, but family obligations dictate the length of our Guangzhou portion. Would you spend more time in Hong Hong? We will probably try to see at least all the major sites in Beijing and Xian. I am just getting aquainted with whats available to do in Hong Hong in Shanghai. Does the order to visit look reasonable?

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
1,412 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 week China trip in mid Oct 2007

Then it looks as if your schedule is complete. I just don't know what you are going to do in Xian for four days. Two is usually enough. The order is good.

Plainview, NE
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 week China trip in mid Oct 2007

I agree that 4 days in Xi'an would be a little long. We enjoyed our trip to the city wall, and if we had time and it wasn't so hot in August, we would have liked to walk along more of it. We certainly enjoyed the Terracotta Warriors and the Museum in Xi'an. We also went to see a Tang Dynasty production at a hotel where they served the traditional regional dumplings. While they weren't my favorite, it was a memorable evening due to the setting! We had a table on the second floor balcony which put us up above the "tourist groups" that were crowded together on the main floor. The entertainers were very good, and we could see everything without a waiter or waitress blocking our view as they delivered the food, etc. It was a great evening. We were on a tour, so this was included in our package, as was a trip to Chengdu. We flew there from Xi'an and went to see the Giant Panda Breeding Research Center. It was a very hot day, so the pandas weren't very active even in the morning, but it was fun to see then consume the bamboo and watch them try to get comfortable and stay cool on their blocks of ice. The video of the pandas and center's work was very interesting and informative. We then drove over the "mountains" to the huge city of Chongquing. It was interesting as it was the site of Changkishek's last capital on mainland China. The park there had fantastic views of the rivers that join there and are the staging area for the Yantze River Cruises. Chongquing is in a state of tremendous growth as manyof the relocated people are being moved there. We also enjoyed the musem dedicated to the "Flying Tigers" and the home of the US commander. Don't know if any of this is of interest to you, but I appreciated all the information I got from people on this web site, and used it to do some research before we left on our trip. Have a great time! Wish I were going again!

oregon USA
8 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 week China trip in mid Oct 2007

Thank you so much. I enjoy looking at all of your suggestions. Where did you stay and would you stay there again?

6. Re: 3 week China trip in mid Oct 2007

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:30 pm, June 13, 2007
oregon USA
8 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 3 week China trip in mid Oct 2007

Thank you BundBnB for your great suggestions, I will do some research on the areas you mentioned and definitly email you

8. Re: 3 week China trip in mid Oct 2007

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:19 pm, August 21, 2009