We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need to pick four restaurants

rol
philippines
Level Contributor
87 posts
Save Topic
Need to pick four restaurants

I'm gonna be in Shanghai for a couple of days and I really wanna try good Chinese food (I've tried Bao Lou, Di Shui Dong...) I've searched the net for really good restaurants and I've narrowed it to a few. But I only need 4. Which 4 of these restaurants (Jade Garden, Yin, South Beauty, Guyi, Din Tai Fung, Xinjiang Fengwei, Xiao Nan Guo) do you guys think are the best?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,889 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need to pick four restaurants

I can recommend South Beauty in the Superbrand Mall, Pudong. The food and surroundings are very stylish. The food can be spicy depending upon your choice. The staff are well presented. We had a goldfish delivered to us a garnish so that was an experience in itself. One of the dishes cooked in oil was done at our table.

I haven't mentioned the view yet. Well for $50AUD for great food, drinks for 3 people and an unobstucted view of the river and the BUnd I think you would be on a winner.

Did not go the the Jage Garden (Xintiani??) but tour guide recommended it highly.

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
13,260 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Need to pick four restaurants

South Beauty would definitely be on my list. Have only tried Ding Tai Fung out of the other ones you've listed, and it's quite good, though not sure how it'd compare to the others.

My pet favourite is Heaven on Earth, but it's not a ultra-well-known name, so I guess it's out of your consideration. The food, service and decor are all really good though.

rol
philippines
Level Contributor
87 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Need to pick four restaurants

Hi Ellyse, thanks for the suggestion on heaven on earth. What kind of Chinese food do they serve? What are the things you like ordering from there?

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
13,260 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Need to pick four restaurants

I'm not sure what kind of cuisine it'd be categorised as, but to me I'd say it's "improved Chinese". There's no MSG used at all and I've noticed that they seem to use less oil than other restaurants. Some favourites there are: 7-colour tofu (soft beancurd mixed with 7 ingredients eg peanut sauce, bonito flakes, red bell pepper, spring onion, salted egg, century egg), the chocolate mouse pudding and the house specialty fried rice.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
1,412 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need to pick four restaurants

South Beauty, Xiao Nan Guo-for Shanghainese (get the noodles with green vegetable) Jade Garden is ok also Shanghinese, but my favorite is Bellagio (either location ) for Taiwanese food.

Makati, Philippines
Level Contributor
32 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need to pick four restaurants

Hey Rol, you might wanna try http://www.shanghai-eats.com/portal Any suggestions of good XiaoLongBao? I'm a xiaolongbao addict hahahaha. Quite Impossible to get good ones here...so I'm gonna use my time in shanghai wisely.

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
13,260 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Need to pick four restaurants

I still like the ones at Nanxiang xiaolongbao restaurant in Yuyuan Bazaar. Apart from being the "traditional" place to get them, they also have a wide variety of other Shanghainese dim sum, which is good.

Ding Tai Fung also has nice xiaolongbao, popular with many expats in Shanghai.

rol
philippines
Level Contributor
87 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Need to pick four restaurants

Hi closetconundrums, I didn't really like the one in yuyuan garden. I know its really popular but I just didn't like it. The best xiaolongbao I had was in crystal jade. I recommended the restaurant to some friends who went to Shanghai last November and they loved it!

rol
philippines
Level Contributor
87 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Need to pick four restaurants

Around how much would a meal for 4 cost at South Beauty? Not including drinks

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
13,260 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Need to pick four restaurants

It depends on how much you order, what food you order (leaning towards meat, seafood or just veggies) and also slightly, which branch you're at!

The one on Yan'an Zhonglu seems to come with a higher price tag, around 300+ RMB per person; whereas the other branches would cost about 120-200 RMB per person.