We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel Location - Xu jia hui or People's Square?

San Francisco, CA
10 posts
Save Topic
Hotel Location - Xu jia hui or People's Square?

Hi Everyone,

I have a friend that lives right in the middle of Xu Jia Hui on Hongqiao Road. We are in Beijing for 4 nights and trying to decide whether to stay in Xu Jia Hui near them or somewhere else. We would like to be in an area that is in the center of town and close to the major areas of Shanghai. An area that is maybe uniquely Shanghai and not similar to other large cities.

We have heard the People's Square Area might be good? Other suggestions? Budget is $60-$120 us per night.

Thanks,

Shane

Shanghai
Level Contributor
699 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel Location - Xu jia hui or People's Square?

You should stay at Shanghai Classical Hotel In YuYuen Gardens, the beds will be hard, like all Chinese hotels in that price bracket, but you will definitely be getting the Unique Chinese experience.

Downstairs is the Starbucks and accross the road is Mc Donalds, so eat breakfast outside the hotel

Shanghai
Level Contributor
699 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel Location - Xu jia hui or People's Square?

Alternative, if your friends book the Hong Qiao State Gest House hotel they should be able to get a nice room for under $100, with a local booking, this hotel has 5 acres of garden grounds and has alot going for it in a different way. Same story hard beds.

San Francisco, CA
10 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel Location - Xu jia hui or People's Square?

Hi BundBnB,

Thanks so much for the information. I'll look into both of those hotels. For others that read my post - I am staying in Shanghai not Beijing. No idea why i mentioned Beijing above ;-)

Shane

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
13,281 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel Location - Xu jia hui or People's Square?

How about Old House Inn (http://www.oldhouse.cn) in the French Concession? I think this would be the best choice for you for your criteria. Location-wise I'd pick to be around People's Square, Nanjing Lu pedestrian or French Concession within easy walking distance of a metro stop.

5. Re: Hotel Location - Xu jia hui or People's Square?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:18 pm, August 21, 2009