We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

"Empire of the Sun"film locations?

Which Shanghai hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
648 posts
90 reviews
Save Topic
"Empire of the Sun"film locations?

the Bund+?Are those buildings still there now,20 yrs after the movie?

Shanghai
Level Contributor
47 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: "Empire of the Sun"film locations?

except the bund, I am sure another location in the film, in which the kid was almost sold to some locals, is in Da Tian Lu,near Xin Zha Lu. the pity is, only half of the street remain the same as shown in the movie.

Taiyuan, China
Destination Expert
for Pingyao County
Level Contributor
3,665 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: "Empire of the Sun"film locations?

I have visited the Bund in the 1980s and 2000s and the buildings of the Bund are much the same. They have landmark status so are pretty safe. The backdrop and the view across the river have changed dramatically, however. Looking east from the Bund, one no longer sees rice paddies, but a forest of skyscrapers.

I should take a look at that film again--I haven't seen it since I visited China.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
648 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: "Empire of the Sun"film locations?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bund

this link has some of old buildings listed.and a picture as seen from the river

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
648 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: "Empire of the Sun"film locations?

Has anyone visited the St.Ignatius Catholic Church recently?(as shown in the film,though they have pews for the choir facing each other ,it looks more like a protestant church in the movie)

Is it still a catholic church now?

What are the services times around Christmas?

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
13,259 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: "Empire of the Sun"film locations?

I should think so. You might like to call 86-21-64690930 if you want to find out about Christmas happenings.

6. Re: "Empire of the Sun"film locations?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:17 am, August 20, 2009