We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much for a morning in Shanghai?

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
55 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
How much for a morning in Shanghai?

I'll be transiting through Shanghai on the way to London and have an 8 hour layover bright and early in the morning. I'm planning on getting cash from the ATM at the airport for the day, but am not sure how much I'll need. I really want to avoid getting too much out and needing to reexchange it later. So, how much do I need for two people to take a taxi into the city, eat street food and/or a cheap meal, maybe pick up some candy or other snacks for the plane, and take the subway and maglev back to the airport? Are there any hidden costs, like airport departure fees or anything? Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Shanghai
Shanghai
Shanghai Region, China
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
69 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How much for a morning in Shanghai?

I would say £60 to be on the safe side. It costs around £20/£25 to get one way into the centre however I suggest you get to MTR as its quicker and cheaper. If you do that than I'd say £30 would be plenty.

Edited: 6:02 pm, February 23, 2014
NNJ
Level Contributor
3,782 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How much for a morning in Shanghai?

That's a very long detour if starting from Ohio!

Going with taxi is ~ $60; coming back with Sub+Maglev is ~$16. So get $100. If needed, there are ATM's in almost every corner (not exactly, but you get the idea) in downtown tourist areas.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
55 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How much for a morning in Shanghai?

Thanks for the help! $100 sounds like a good start. Unfortunately we get into Shanghai too early for any trains or buses to be running, so a taxi it is...

It is a very long detour, starting from Ohio. We're taking a trip to Siem Reap and decided to see if we could make it all the way around the world, since Ohio-Cambodia is about halfway there. So, we're doing Columbus, OH->Siem Reap via Seoul on the way there, and Siem Reap->Shanghai->London, overland to Dublin->Columbus, OH on the way back.

Edited: 9:05 pm, February 23, 2014
Mentioned in this post
Shanghai
Shanghai
Shanghai Region, China
Siem Reap
Siem Reap
Siem Reap Province, Cambodia
Seoul
Seoul
South Korea
Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
2,237 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How much for a morning in Shanghai?

And as in whole of Asia, also beware of friendly locals approaching you in English here: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g303764-i2316-k442…

Mentioned in this post
Asia
Asia
World
Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
55 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How much for a morning in Shanghai?

Thanks, laowai!

6. Re: How much for a morning in Shanghai?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, February 26, 2015
;