We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shanghai City Tour

Which Shanghai hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
2,711 posts
128 reviews
Save Topic
Shanghai City Tour

I am embarking on a semi-tour to Beijing and Shanghai in a couple of months...semi-tour meaning that I have the option to do organized tours or go it alone while in these cities.

There is a full day Shanghai City tour offered that reads:

"Start your day with a guided walk amidst the scenic ponds, colorful pavillions and walkways of the 16th century Yu Yuan Garden, a delightful reminder of old Shanghai. You'll also visit the acclaimed Shanghai Museum displaying exquisite ancient Chinese art and artifacts. Conclude the tour with a visit to the colorful Bund, Shanghai's famous waterfront. ($50, lunch included)."

I'm pretty sure I can skip this tour and go on my own, particularly after spending 5 days in Beijing. Also, I'm not sure that I want to visit the museum. I'm in Shanghai for only 2 full days, and the second day will be visiting Suzhou.

I would like to visit the Yu Yuan Garden, the Bund, possibly the World Financial center Observatory (if clear), and not sure what else. I would love any and all recommendations on what to do, and where to dine (nothing fancy). I will be at the Holiday Inn Downtown. What subway line do I take for these excursions? Thank you much.

Edited: 10:04 am, January 23, 2014
Columbia,SC
7 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Shanghai City Tour

It sounds like we are on the same trip. We are flying out of JFK on March 23 for 5 days in Beijing and 3 days in Shanghai, We will probably attend the tour breakfast in Beijing but will venture out on our own. We have booked a guide in Beijing for 2 days using public transportation for sight seeing in Beijing the first day and booked a taxi( along with the guide) the next day for the Great Wall (Mutianyu section). Have not done any planning for Shanghai but need to get busy! We are considering a guide for 1 day in Shanghai.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
40,059 posts
815 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shanghai City Tour

You certainly do not need a guide in Shanghai to visit these places. You can get everywhere via subway. The Shanghai Museum (free) is certainly one of the top things to see in Shanghai. Probably the best museum in China.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
2,711 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shanghai City Tour

Jean-Pierre D, perhaps I will stop in the Museum for a little while. I have no problem traveling alone...just unsure of what subway line to take. However, after reading reviews of the hotel, it appears that I can walk to many of the sites. I'm a little concerned with crossing streets. If the traffic is anything like Cairo, it will be quite a challenge to say the least.

WhyNotToday, my visit is in April. I would like to learn of your experiences when you return.

Edited: 8:08 pm, January 24, 2014
Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
40,059 posts
815 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shanghai City Tour

This is a good subway map. They have an app also if you have a smart phone: http://www.exploreshanghai.com/metro/

To see where everything is relative to your hotel and the subway, check Google maps, everything is there, even the subway exit.

Crossing the street is no big deal. Follow the crowd.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
2,711 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shanghai City Tour

Thank you much :-)

California
Level Contributor
567 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shanghai City Tour

If you are going to Suzhou, skip Yu Yuan Garden, it is a mini version of the Suzhou gardens. If you need small souvenirs, the Old Town bazaar where the Garden is located is a good place and has some nice but not fancy restaurants. Check out the Top Questions in the right column and pick out a few sights that appeal to you. Shanghai is huge but the subways are clean, fast and user friendly, and the taxis are inexpensive.

7. Re: Shanghai City Tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, January 27, 2015