We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip from Shanghai suggestions?

Which Shanghai hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
126 posts
132 reviews
Save Topic
Day trip from Shanghai suggestions?

My wife and I would like some suggestions regarding what day trip should we take from Shanghai - should it be Hangzhou or Suzhou - what will be the more memorable experience? I understand both can be reached within 1 hr from Shanghai so accessibility is not really an issue.

NNJ
Level Contributor
2,987 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip from Shanghai suggestions?

HZ is bigger than SZ and you need two days. For one day and for a first timer, you won't wrong with either one.

Guilin
Level Contributor
1,453 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip from Shanghai suggestions?

Actually day tour from Shanghai to Suzhou or to Hangzhou is doable. And personely think Hangzhou is better than Suzhou and advised. Optional just do a day tour from Shanghai to nearby water town, e.g. Zhouzhuang, Tongli or Luzhi.

Rotorua, New Zealand
Level Contributor
1 post
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip from Shanghai suggestions?

I am from NZ and live in Suzhou which is a really pretty and interesting city to visit. We went to Hangzhou for a weekend and our personnel preference is Suzhou as there seems to be more to see and do. In Suzhou I recommend going to the following places - time permitting : Pan Gate, Humble Administrators Garden, Walking Street (close to Linden Lu tube station) and Tiger Hill.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
126 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip from Shanghai suggestions?

Thanks drew, john wong and cindy j - i get the general message that both are nice to do with a little favour towards suzhou as cindy is from suzhou.

No one can really say that one amongst them is WOW! and UNMISSABLE! - any suggestions which is better the West Lake experience, Hangzhou or the Gardens at Suzhou!

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
120 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trip from Shanghai suggestions?

I think one would need to know some Chinese philosophy or literature to truly appreciate the Chinese gardens. If not, one might find the gardens boring. So if Suzhou is your choice, I would recommend you to do some reading on the gardens first. Btw, Hanshan temple in SZ is very famous. Do visit it.

West Lake has many surrounding attractions so there are more things to do there. One of the famous attractions is Lingyin temple.

There are many water canal towns around Shanghai, good places for a day trip. The famous ones are Wuzhen/Zhouzhuang/Tongli/Xitang/Zhujiajiao etc.

Btw, you can visit Qibao town by taking Shanghai metro.

Happy planning!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
704 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trip from Shanghai suggestions?

Whatever your decision, consider taking the train for an independent experience rather than sitting for ours in a tour van.

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Day trip from Shanghai suggestions?

Hangzhou is more beautiful. But as someone mentioned, hangzhou is bigger and one-day travel from shanghai is too tight. You can't really get into the peaceful atmosphere with such a hurry travel. Walking along the west lake at night and find a good tea house to relax, and then walk to a nearby hotel rather than taking train to get back to Shanghai. Suzhou is also nice. But you need a good plan for one-day trip. It's better to include some water town nearby.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
126 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day trip from Shanghai suggestions?

Many thanks Jyunquing, CaroSydney and Instant China - I am more inclined towards West lake and Hangzhou and I will look to go there.

I believe there are agents who book a day trip from Shanghai and back on the bullet train and also organise sight seeing - any suggestions of good agents who do this? Any websites of such agents?

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
29 posts
717 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day trip from Shanghai suggestions?

If you are taking public transportation (train or bus), be aware that if you do not read or write Chinese, you will have some delay. My husband and I lived in Shanghai twice in 2010 ( he was assigned there 2x by his company). We did not have our own car so we depended on public transportation over the weekends. One Saturday, we were going to West Lake. They could not find anyone at the train station to translate for us so we missed the train. Then, we went to the bus station and the same thing happened. By the time a translator was available, they told us that we would have to spend the night there because it was too late to get started that day. Sujhou is doable and not a bad place to see. The gardens were lovely and the nearby museum was free. The museum was designed by I.M. Pei. The people were very friendly especially around the market that had fruit stands. I am taking my niece to Shanghai in April and I have arranged for the tour company to take us to Sujhou. . Enjoy your trip.!

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
126 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Day trip from Shanghai suggestions?

Traveldglobenow - many thanks for your practical advice and detailed reply. This is very important to know and understand.