We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

"Want a lady? 100 Chinese money."

West Hollywood...
Level Contributor
223 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
"Want a lady? 100 Chinese money."

I've been in Shanghai for less than 24 hours and though it's been awesome, the quantity and persistence of scammers is way beyond my expectations. I read the forum posts and I still wasn't ready for how annoying and non stop it is. I've been asked at least 50 times if I want a massage or a woman. I've also been approached by pairs of young women. The first time they seemed so nice. They asked me to take their picture with their cellphone. They were tourists. They were sweet and charming and spoke English well. They gave me tips on Shanghai. How could I be rude? They asked all kinds of questions about where I was from and what I did for a living. Suddenly the conversation switched to a tea festival and groups of interesting minorities who would be there. That's when I realized they were scammers. They tried to talk me out of what I had planned for the day and come with them. I didn't. I was approached by a second pair outside the subway at Yu Yuan Gardens. Same approach. Will I take their picture? I did but handed them back their phone and walked away. When I got a few yards away and turned and saw them asking a group of German tourists who had been on the subway if they would take their picture. They seemed to be falling for it. Once I got yo Yu Yuan I was approached by a very nice man who was around 60. We started to chat. He seemed very intelligent and quite knowledgeable about Shanghai. He showed me a couple of places, told me about his family and was pretty interesting. He was very persistent about showing me views and a Taoist Temple. When I asked him what he wanted he told me that if he were ever in Los Angeles that I would be helpful to him. We spent more than an hour together and I had enough but how could I be rude to such a sweet, smart, interesting man close to my age? I finally told him I had another appointment and would have to leave. Of course suddenly he asked for 20 Yuan, not much for all the information and time he gave me but I was still bothered by his dishonesty and called him on it. His sheepish response was "That's how things are done in Shanghai." I gave him his money and left. All these experiences have left me wanting to be rude to anyone who approaches me. That's not how I like to start my time here. Beijing had a few similar folks, mostly young women who claimed to be artists. Still, it was nothing like Shanghai. You are constantly bombarded with it... At least at the couple of locations I've been so far.

Xi'an, China
Level Contributor
172 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: "Want a lady? 100 Chinese money."

Hi, there:

It happens a lot, practice to say in Chinese 'Bu Yao', which means Do Not Want It. be firm when you say it and walk away.

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
20,921 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: "Want a lady? 100 Chinese money."

How does your post relate to the subject line? Or are you just scamming us to read your post?

You don't have to be rude or even say anything, just shake your head and walk away. When you are in LA and a telemarketer call, do you engage in a long conversation just so you won't be "rude"?

West Hollywood...
Level Contributor
223 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: "Want a lady? 100 Chinese money."

That was the line used by several people who approached me today. Why do I sense a need, on your part, to blame the poster? Are you defending these scammers? Your tone is offensive. How can you equate a telemarketer to someone you're having a face to face conversation with in a foreign nation while on vacation?

Edited: 5:18 am, November 08, 2013
Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
42,017 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: "Want a lady? 100 Chinese money."

I don't bother respond to them, I don't even look at them. I do the same in Europe when some very friendly local tries to start a conversation.

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
20,921 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: "Want a lady? 100 Chinese money."

You did not say that in your post, which has no relations with your subject line. If you don't talk to a telemarketer, why feel the need to talk to a scammer? I am frustrated because this scam has been discussed extensively and repeatedly, and yet people continue to fall for it.

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
2,237 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: "Want a lady? 100 Chinese money."

"That's how things are done in Shanghai." That says it all! Things are different here.

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
5,000 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: "Want a lady? 100 Chinese money."

Interesting retort in response 3. I don't read anything offensive in the tone of #2. Actually, I was drawn to this post as I thought that it might be a warning about some new type of prostitution racket rather than run-of-the-mill scams. Telemarketers and scammers may not be directly comparable but they are both aiming to part you from your money. I think you've shown you were wise not to get roped into any of the well-documented scams but your choice to give the old man some money might be questioned by some. I'm with JP when it comes to ignoring people such as those you've encountered. However, it's understandably difficult for anyone unfamiliar with the culture.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,774 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: "Want a lady? 100 Chinese money."

Think I'm gunna like Shanghai

Scammers are a species that I find interesting

1977 was my first(but not last ) brush with one

Piccadilly a guy steps up and takes my photo

"I'm the official photographer he says"

£2 now and your hotel name I'll have photo delivered in 24 hrs --for a split second I was unsure then I got suspicious --and him disappeared as a London policeman walked over.

Oh all manner been tried ,I guess like most travelers from NYC to Nairobi etc

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
5,716 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: "Want a lady? 100 Chinese money."

Big guys should be able to take care of themselves especially when there is no violence or physical abuse is involved.It is actually not difficult to say NO or just turned dumb in situations like this.Those involved are cheap con artists and they don't like fuss or a mess up too.And especially if one iS quite aware of scams like this happening here and abroad it should be no problem.

Things are not like what people think like what it is done here,it's the same I many other cities abroad.Here mostly westerners and a small portion of Asians travelers are targeted but in the west ,I might be the victim.My friend just returned from Melbourne was conned of thousands in a girlie bar just because he finds different colors fascinating.also I don't find it logical to give the man 20yuan even if he asked for it.Travelling is part of growing up ...no particular remorse or dissent to a particular city or race....

West Hollywood...
Level Contributor
223 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: "Want a lady? 100 Chinese money."

Let me be clear. Scammers are just a small part of my Shanghai experience. I will write a travel report when I get home. It's a beautiful fascinating city. I'm just disappointed that I need to walk around with my guard up. It makes it more difficult to meet locals. I don't like beginning every encounter wondering what someone wants from me.