We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thinking of Staying in the Old City Shanghai?

Seattle, WA
Level Contributor
31 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Thinking of Staying in the Old City Shanghai?

Hi,

We are going to be in Shanghai for 4 days late Nov. It looks like the Renaissance Yu Garden Shanghai hotel looks to be in a good location to Metro and seeing sites. Is this a tacky area? Or a good place for a base to sight see? We want a place we can walk out of our hotel and find good food and things to do at night within walking distance. Our other choice is in the French Concession area or Xintiandi area. We are willing to spend up to $300 USD per night. We will also try to go to Hangzhou for a day trip. Any thoughts appreciated.

Seattle, WA
Level Contributor
31 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Thinking of Staying in the Old City Shanghai?

Show Me- I read your review that is why I latched onto it. My sister who was in Beijing not too long ago stayed in a less then clean hotel in a large hotel chain. She was afraid that we would get the same in Shanghai and I told her it looks like there are a lot of nice options in Shanghai and not to worry. I'm assuming that both the Marriott City Center and JW Marriott Tomorrow Square are both nice, clean, upscale hotels. After her bad stay in Beijing, I'm wanting to make sure the hotel I pick is really nice, clean, near stuff-food/shopping etc. Thanks for your input.

NNJ
Level Contributor
3,432 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Thinking of Staying in the Old City Shanghai?

I stayed the City Central last year for a couple of days when they were just opened (I gave a very good review here). In terms of location, this hotel is the best. The reason I didn't mention in the other thread is that it's one grade lower than $300 level hotels.

BTW People Sq. station is convenient, but it's huge; walking in and out is a very good dialy excise. When I stayed at City Central, I took the subway only once.

23. Re: Thinking of Staying in the Old City Shanghai?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, October 19, 2014