We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

High speed train Shanghai to Beijing, 1st or 2nd class?

Which Shanghai hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Pacifica, California
Destination Expert
for Pacifica
Level Contributor
8,695 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
High speed train Shanghai to Beijing, 1st or 2nd class?

Do people here think 1st class on the high speed train between Shanghai and Beijing is worth the extra cost over 2nd class?

For those who have ridden high speed trains in both China and Japan, is 2nd class on the Chinese train comparable to ordinary (not green car) class on the Shinkansen?

Thanks.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
39,708 posts
815 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: High speed train Shanghai to Beijing, 1st or 2nd class?

I posted a photo here in a review: tripadvisor.com/…REVIEWS

The leg room is similar to business class on flights. The seat arrangement is 3-2. I find 2nd class quite comfortable compared to flying.

Pacifica, California
Destination Expert
for Pacifica
Level Contributor
8,695 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: High speed train Shanghai to Beijing, 1st or 2nd class?

Jean-Pierre D, that looks great. Thanks.

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
5,716 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: High speed train Shanghai to Beijing, 1st or 2nd class?

The price difference of second and 1st and business class is a lot.It is very very comfortable,cosy and lots of leg room esp for us asian people who usually has shorter legs.,cant reach the othe front seat.

Its 2 seats for the 1st class.Business class even has single seating.

BUT the 2nd class apart from 3 seats together it is actually worth the price.It is already more comfortable than the economy seats in the aeroplane.It is comfortable enough and doesnt feel as packed and tight as in the plane. unless one has more money to splurge on the first class.,where the price is even more costly than the plane on promo.

NNJ
Level Contributor
3,028 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: High speed train Shanghai to Beijing, 1st or 2nd class?

G train is comparable to shinganshen. But, a big but, the passengers are not. If the price difference is insiginicant to you, go for the 1st class. (We did 2nd class ride once, seating was fine. May be just that day on that car, three women were talking like in an open market; their kids were running up and down the car like in a play ground; ... We haven't ride in 2nd class since).

NNJ
Level Contributor
3,028 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: High speed train Shanghai to Beijing, 1st or 2nd class?

BTW, the 2nd class seats are only close to EU's regional flights' business seats, not to NA's, based in my experiences.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
39,708 posts
815 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: High speed train Shanghai to Beijing, 1st or 2nd class?

North American domestic business class is like economy 30 years ago. I sometimes wondered if they made a mistake. Didn't feel like business class at all. I once flew to San Francisco in first class on a US airline, quite a joke of first class. The airlines business is not what is used to be but that is a different story...

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,179 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: High speed train Shanghai to Beijing, 1st or 2nd class?

simba,

I used to live in Tokyo so I'm quite used to riding trains there. This summer , we took the G train from Shanghai to Beijing. 1st class seats were very nice, lots of room and very clean. The toilet is huge but maintenance can be iffy. I used it as soon as I got on board. There was a paper seal indicating that the toilet had been sterilized. I opened the cover and found a big piece of poo inside the toilet. Perhaps the cleaner meant the cover had been sterilized, lol.

Food was very expensive on the train. We brought our own meals. There are lots of shops and restaurants at the train stations.

If people behaving as if they were in a market will bother you, it's best to avoid 2nd class.

Beijing, China
Destination Expert
for Guilin, Xi'an, Tibet
Level Contributor
4,915 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: High speed train Shanghai to Beijing, 1st or 2nd class?

If money is not so significant, much more value if going with 1st class. Air in 2nd class is pressing.

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
5,716 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: High speed train Shanghai to Beijing, 1st or 2nd class?

Here where the population is mammoth it is quite difficult to maintain a high level of cleanliness,quite a daunting task.This is quite significant comparing to developed countries with mush less population.Situation is made worse with the many emerging affordables from all sorts of life.Try getting into the business class lounge in a typical domestic China airlines ,it is so packed that it looks like a free market.Comparing one for instance at a business class in a Hong Kong airport,one can easily feel relaxed n calm.

however in G trains i noticed that situation in the business or 1st class is much better than in the air.

Pacifica, California
Destination Expert
for Pacifica
Level Contributor
8,695 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: High speed train Shanghai to Beijing, 1st or 2nd class?

Thanks, everybody.