We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

museum

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
53 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
museum

Can you please tell me the difference between the Shanghai Museum and the Shanghai History Museum and which one would you visit if you could only see one?

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
13,281 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: museum

Shanghai Museum is the one in People's Square. The exhibits include bronzes, Chinese calligraphy, Buddhist sculptures/figures, minority costumes, Chinese furniture, Chinese paintings, Chinese seals... that's all I can remember at the moment.

Shanghai Municipal History Museum is in the base of the Oriental Pearl TV Tower in Pudong. The exhibits have more to do with Shanghai's history and development, and there're many interesting and colourful waxwork recreations of what it used to be like in Shanghai of the past.

Both are equally worth going to, I can't really pick one! It depends on what you're more interested in seeing though.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
53 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: museum

thanks ellyse, I thought that may be so. Considering we are going to be in China for a month I think we will stick more to the history of each city, I think the kids will get more out of the history museum to by the sound of it. Hows this sound for a first day in Shanghai?, YuYuan gardens for the morning and lunch, walk down the Bund, across by Ferry to the museum, up the tower, tea in a cafe looking across at the lights of the Bund and depending on how tired the kids are the Circus or Acrobats.

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
13,281 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: museum

Yup, I do agree that kids would usually be more interested in the Shanghai Municipal History Museum rather than the Shanghai Museum, which could be a little dry for them.

Your itinerary sounds good. :) Be at the Nanxiang xiaolongbao restaurant promptly at 1100 and head straight for the innermost section upstairs for lunch, or else you'll have to wait for a pretty long time! If you can start out early (especially recommended for the hot sticky summer months), I'd recommend starting from the Bund first, then walking to the Yuyuan area, then ferry from the wharf near the Yuyuan (keep walking east down Fangbang Zhonglu aka Old Street and you'll find it) instead of the one on the Bund (at Jinling Donglu). Then follow the rest of your itinerary.

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
13,281 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: museum

Yup, I do agree that kids would usually be more interested in the Shanghai Municipal History Museum rather than the Shanghai Museum, which could be a little dry for them.

Your itinerary sounds good. :) Be at the Nanxiang xiaolongbao restaurant promptly at 1100 and head straight for the innermost section upstairs for lunch, or else you'll have to wait for a pretty long time! If you can start out early (especially recommended for the hot sticky summer months), I'd recommend starting from the Bund first, then walking to the Yuyuan area, then ferry from the wharf near the Yuyuan (keep walking east down Fangbang Zhonglu aka Old Street and you'll find it) instead of the one on the Bund (at Jinling Donglu). Then follow the rest of your itinerary.

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
13,281 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: museum

BTW, I'd highly recommend the acrobat performance at Shanghai Circus World.

Apologies about that double posting above; it didn't seem to go through the 1st time.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
53 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: museum

Thanks ellyse, Can you suggest a nice child friendly cafe/restaurant to have tea at? Somewhere I thought someone suggested a mall? but I could be wrong:) Can I get the tickets for the circus on the night or is it best to get them when I first get into Shanghai?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
53 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: museum

Mentioned in another thread it was the Super Brand Mall. Ellyse wrote about Lang Yi Fang, do they allow kids?, I presume this Is a chinese cuisine,?

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
13,281 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: museum

Yes, you should be able to get the tickets for the performance on the night itself.

Yes, Lang Yi Fang does allow kids! :)

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
13,281 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: museum

Sorry, missed this out... Yes, Lang Yi Fang serves Chinese cuisine.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
53 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: museum

thank you for your help ellyse, you always have such great advice it is much appreciated