We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Canadian coming to Shanghai alone a for the first time

Which Shanghai hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Edmonton, Canada
5 posts
Save Topic
Canadian coming to Shanghai alone a for the first time

Hello, all. Allow me to introduce myself. I am a Canadian male, 28 years of age that lives for adventure and I will be traveling to Shanghai alone and my stay is for 31 days. I will spend 7 days in Beijing as I will be taking the train that way to see the great wall of China and to explore and learn more about Chinese culture. In this 31 day span I am flying out to Tokyo Japan for 8 days as well.

I am curious as to how I can meet other tourists on my stay or events that I should perhaps take part of. I am really looking forward to Chinese new year in Shanghai and I am in the process of learning Mandarin. Is it safe to walk alone at night? I also want to go to a social Hostel with other travelers as well, so advice on that would be appreciated. What should I be ready for and if you have any advice on Beijing or Tokyo that would help as well :D

Edmonton, Canada
5 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Canadian coming to Shanghai alone a for the first time

I am traveling from January 4th to February 4. If any other tourists will be around any of the cities that I have listed feel free to send a message.

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
455 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Canadian coming to Shanghai alone a for the first time

to answer your question about security in China, Shanghai and Beijing are the most safe cities in China, you can walk alone in the streets alone. Just be careful of pick pockets in crowded area, then it will be fine.

Regarding hostel, i would like to recommend captain hostel and YHA China Hostel in Shanghai. where you can meet other tourists. or you can book a personal to join other tourists also.

http://www.yhachina.com/ls.php?id=17&hostID=2

it will be cold in China , do bring your warm clothes.

regards

Qinin

Edmonton, Canada
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Canadian coming to Shanghai alone a for the first time

I am Canadian. My version of cold is 40 to 50 below zero degrees Celsius so to me this is warm :) I will certainly bring some warm clothes though! Thank you so much for the advice. Can I walk alone at night at say the bund? I would like to take photographs with my Nikon camera.

California
Level Contributor
567 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Canadian coming to Shanghai alone a for the first time

For Beijing and Tokyo, you should post on those forums.

Shanghai is relatively safe but use common sense as you would in any large city in the world. Check the right side column Top ?? about Shanghai and read the Q&R about scams, that's what you need to pay attention to. Do you have 16 days in Shanghai? Chinese New Year is January 1, in the immediate days before and after there will be humongous crowds of people you have never experienced moving in and out of the city.

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
5,716 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Canadian coming to Shanghai alone a for the first time

CAS,Chinese lunar new year for 2014 is not on January 1st but on January 31st.It would be the year of the horse.

California
Level Contributor
567 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Canadian coming to Shanghai alone a for the first time

Thanks, Benny, I was looking at 31 on the calendar but typed the 1st, two New Year holidays to celebrate in January 2014.

In the US we don't get a day off from work for the Lunar New Year, we do get a day off on January 20 to observe Martin Luther King, Jr. Day, a national holiday.

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
5,716 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Canadian coming to Shanghai alone a for the first time

When is your new year.?jan1st?Do you have a national new year off day for everybody for a stretch like what we have here?

8. Re: Canadian coming to Shanghai alone a for the first time

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 1:35 pm, September 04, 2013
Edmonton, Canada
5 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Canadian coming to Shanghai alone a for the first time

Chinese New Year is January 31!! Not the 1st

California
Level Contributor
567 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Canadian coming to Shanghai alone a for the first time

Yes, Terrance, see post 6.

Benny: In the US, the New Year's Day is January 1st, one paid day off for that holiday, no stretch like in China for the Lunar New Year holiday. There are 10 government-recognized holidays we get one paid day off, New Year's Day, Martin Luther King, Jr. Day, Presidents' Day, Memorial Day ......, if they fall on a Friday or Monday, that's three days off from work.

To stretch a 3-day weekend holiday, many people use additional personal paid vacation days (PVD), the number of those depends on your employer and your length of employment. For example, after 6 months of employment 1 week of PVD, after 1 year of employment 2 weeks, after 5 years 3 weeks, after 10 years 4 weeks ...... When one changes employment, in addition to salary and benefits, PVD becomes a negotiating point with the new employer