We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 day only in Shanghai

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Topic
1 day only in Shanghai

Hi, my fiance and I are going to Shanghai in July. We only have one day in Shanghai. Our flight arrives at Pudong airport at 5:25pm. I have not booked hotel yet.

We would like to see the Bund at night and wonder how late the river cruise runs. Is it a recommended way to see the Bund? Given the fact that we probably won't get to the city till later in the the evening, we are thinking about booking a hotel in the Bund area, so that we can check in and head out right away? Is that practical?

Also, we have the next day till the afternoon to wander around Shanghai. Is that any recommendation as of how to arrange so that we can see the most? Of course, we may have so much jetlag and couldn't do anything :-). But thought it would be good to know our choices.

Thanks a lot.

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
13,316 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: 1 day only in Shanghai

Hmmm, I'd actually recommend having dinner at one of the restaurants in Super Brand Mall (in Pudong) with a view of the Bund instead. A cheapie way to get a "cruise" would be to take the ferry from Puxi to Pudong, or vice versa. It's all of about 2 mins and a max of 2 RMB/person each way!

What's your budget like for accommodation?

Skopje, Republic of...
Level Contributor
69 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1 day only in Shanghai

I think the plan is great! When you arrive take the night boat from Bund to see bund and Pundong, and after that you can go to Nanijing road (wich is close to Bund and it is nigh attraction) and to People sq. (wich is on the other end of Nanging road) to see Museum, opera, high buildings...

In the morning you can go by under river train to Pudong and get elevator to highest floor in Jin MAO tower in order to see panoramic view of the city or in Pearl tower (wich is lower, but gives you the opportunity to have a meal in revolving restaurant). If you don't want to have a meal and you have enough time, you can finish your visit vith coffe at Xin tian di (you will have to take metro since it is not close and this is fastest way to taravel).

If you are into chinese things you can abandon some of this and go to Jade buda temple, but that way you will not see "Sh" from Shanghai (since it is not in the city center). I'm afraid you don't have enough time for Yuyuan gardens.

Hope this helps ;-)

P.S. Take MAGLEV train from/to airport. It takes you in 7min. so you will save at least 40min. each way.

Taiyuan, China
Destination Expert
for Pingyao County
Level Contributor
3,692 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1 day only in Shanghai

I like the ellyse's idea of taking the ferry to Pudong and having dinner across the river from the bund!

The next day I would either explore the Yuyuan garden and shops area. Touristy, but still good in my opinion.

You can also try to visit the Shanghai museum if you like museums. It would take most of the day to see the whole thing, but you can just visit a few sections that interest you most.

Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
263 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1 day only in Shanghai

Ellyse - you have such useful info! We will be in Shanghai and also liked your idea here of going to Super Brand mall - where is that in relation to getting off the ferry in Pudong? Can we go up the Jin Mai Tower in the evening and would it be near? And any particular restaurants you would recommend?? Thanks

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 1 day only in Shanghai

Thanks to everybody for the useful information.

Our hotel budget is $100-$150. Any recommendation as of which restaurant? We'd like to try some real Chinese food.

How late does the MAGLEV train run? After we clear custom and all that, can we still catch it?

Again, thanks everybody!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,175 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1 day only in Shanghai

Agree with dinner at the Superbrand Mall, we were in Shanghai a few weeks ago and we had dinner at a really nice Thai restaurant their (cant remember name sorry), anyway it had some nice views and food was good. We then strolled along the promenade and got some great photos and videos. After that we wallked up to the Jin Mao (spelling?) Tower and had dessert and cocktail in the Cloud 9 bar on the 87th floor, great experience.

We enjoyed strolling Nanjing Road at night, taking in the neon lights, shopping at Xiang Yang (although Bejing was cheaper), Yu Yuan Gardens where we experienced a traditional tea ceremony.

On our departure we took a cab to the station to catch the Maglev train to the airport, another interesting experience.

Enjoy & have fun.

Catherine

Colorado
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1 day only in Shanghai

We just did it. The yuyuan garden was awsome! We went down to the bund, but it was very smoggy. Bought a ring from a govt owned store which turned out to be fake-they aren't supposed to sell you fake goods(this was a jade/tea combo store just off the bund). Didn't break the bank over it, so no harm done.

Saw the museum. Precious stone collections, jade, and furniture were the highlights for me. Can be done in an hour and 1/2. My daughter went on the one hour bund crused w/other members of our group and loved it. It was only 15$ us and well worth it-told that this was the way to see most of the city. Tourist food was better than in other cities. Ditto breakfast at our hotel-an ting villas. WE managed to cathc a lovely wedding in progress there. I had real French Croissants with butter. Omelettes were offered. I liked the hotel. It's 'doable' in a day, but would like to have had 2 or 3. Shanghai was very hot and muggy. Not the best time to visit. Retrospectively, I would put it in the middle of a big trip. We travelled 5 hours to get there from lijiang with a layover, got bags after ahour and a half. All in all about 9 hours of getting from on e city and hotel to another. Nothing left to do that day. The next day was our whorlwind tour, nicely done by our guide, Rocky. The next was the frantic trip back to the US-left shanghai, layover and confusing plane change in beijing, long trip on Air CHina to SF, long layover there, then back to Denver. 2 flight delays and one sold out flight by united in Dever. Exhausting and not well planned.I'd like to see Air China resumed theri direct shanghai to west coast service. Otherwise, I'dl like to fly over to hong kong for a night and start fresh from there. Too many planes, trins and automobiles. I'd be leary of Air China's way of doing things. Yes, they do have a better seat pich. Service is improving. We did get our veg meals. Now, if only they learned when to served the wine-ie just before the dinner and lights out, preferalby not in the morning with breakfast-they'd be doing better. But do discover the little self serv bar on the back of the plane. And take extra water back to your seat. They seem unconcerned about letting people loiter, which was nice. They still have much to learn about american travellers. When to offer the english channels on in flight entertainment and such.

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
13,316 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: 1 day only in Shanghai

It's a bit of a walk from where the ferry lands you in Pudong -- just walk leftish towards where the gaudy giant pink syringe (ie the Oriental Pearl TV Tower) is. That's a good landmark as it's really tall and just next to the mall.

Yes, you can go up the Jinmao tower in the evening, and it'd be an easy 5-10 min walk from Super Brand Mall. I'd recommend going to Cloud 9 bar in the 87th floor of the Grand Hyatt (which occupies floors 53-87 of the Jinmao Tower) as I think it's more worth the money than the observation deck.

For the hotel, you could try Salvo Hotel, which would have a nice view of the surrounding environment.

One of my favourite restaurants for Chinese cuisine in Shanghai would be Heaven on Earth at 327 Jiujiang Lu, very near to Henan Zhonglu metro stop (line 2) on Nanjing Lu pedestrian street. It's pretty close to your hotel and the Bund, but no view of the Bund. For the restaurant in Super Brand Mall, I'd recommend Lang Yi Fang (5th floor), Ai Wan Ting (8th floor) and South Beauty (10th floor IIRC). You'd do well to have reservations at any of them though, especially for Lang Yi Fang! The minimum expenditure for a 1st-row windowside table at Ai Wan Ting was 200 RMB/person. There was no minimum expenditure for a windowside table at Lang Yi Fang, but they're usually reserved out 2 or even 3 weeks in advance. I called about 1 week in advance and was able to get a table in the 2nd row from the window. Not sure about Souh Beauty.

Yes, you'll still be in time to catch the Maglev train to Longyang Lu metro stop (line 2) as it stops operation at 2130. Do be warned that getting a legit taxi from where it ends is close to impossible though, so continuing on the metro would be a good idea if you don't have much luggage.

Shanghai
Level Contributor
699 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: 1 day only in Shanghai

If you want to fit in as much as possible, catch the Maglev, it is faster but limit your luggage to one bag and a cary on, if more than that you need to catch a taxi.

If you stay at the Shanghai Classical Hotel, in YuYuen Gardens, the rate will be under $100 bed will be hard but for one night you will be near the Bund and right in the heart of everything.

Have a chinese person write the address in Chinese to assist you.

Ask on the flight.

Hotel has Starbucks downstairs and Macs over the road, for any other interested USA traveller who need a fix in between real Chinese meals

10. Re: 1 day only in Shanghai

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:13 am, September 04, 2008