We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pearl of the Orient Cruise Question

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,652 posts
256 reviews
Save Topic
Pearl of the Orient Cruise Question

Hello TA Community - My wife and I are 2 fit adults who want to take the E. Nanging Rd metro to visit Tian Zi Fang Hutong for about 2 hours. We plan on leaving the Hutong at about 1130 AM & take Metro line 9 from Dapuqiao station to the Metro station nearest to the Pearl of the Orient pier for a 40 minute Huangpu River Cruise. We have no issues with walking. We will be in Shanghai in mid-October. Questions:

1) Where exactly is the Pearl of the Orient pier? Detailed location would be appreciated.

2) What is the nearest Metro station to the Pearl of the Orient Cruise pier?

3) Do river cruise tickets have to be purchased in advance?

4) Are the river cruise tickets for specific times?

I am asking questions 3 & 4 because if the answer is Yes, then we will modify our route to stop by the pier to the purchase tickets on our way to Tian Zi Fang Hutong.

All replies are appreciated.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
41,343 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pearl of the Orient Cruise Question

I am not familiar with the cruise but just wanted to point out that Tian Zi Fang is not a hutong. Nice place to visit though with nice shops.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,652 posts
256 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pearl of the Orient Cruise Question

Thanks JP. I believe it is #22 of Shanghai attractions, but I can't determine the exact location or a website for the Huangpu River Cruise.

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
20,540 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pearl of the Orient Cruise Question

According the TA review (tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g308272-d1…), the cruise terminal is located at No.2852 Binjiang Avenue, Pudong. The closest subway station appears to be Lujiazui station on line 2.

Tian Zi Fang is one of my favorite places to go in Shanghai. It's a maze of alleys so technically it's a kind of hutong.

NNJ
Level Contributor
3,289 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pearl of the Orient Cruise Question

Last year this time, I had a dinner at the Seagull restaurant (a restaurant with unique global shape offers very nice view of the Bund, but very average food) and saw the pier for the cruise ship next to the restaurant, which is near the Pearl Tower. There is no subway station nearby (within 10 min walking?). You may search that restaurant on map (there is Seagull hotel which is on the other side of the river).

BTW why not take taxi?

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,652 posts
256 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pearl of the Orient Cruise Question

Social Security, thanks for the reply. Hoewever, I am still confused. Previous TA postings mentioned a 40 minute Huangpu River cruise that starts on the other side of the river (somewhere near the Bund?). Maybe I am incorrectly assuming it is from the Pearl of the Orient pier.

NNJ
Level Contributor
3,289 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pearl of the Orient Cruise Question

Found the restaurant on gmap:

Hai'oufang

2852 Binjiang Avenue

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,652 posts
256 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pearl of the Orient Cruise Question

drdw thanks for the info - maybe there are no cruises that depart from the Bund side of the river (?). We prefer to walk as long as the weather is decent and the location is no more that 3 miles away.

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
20,540 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pearl of the Orient Cruise Question

Sorry I have no personal experience with that cruise. But according to the TA review you listed, that's the address and it's on the Pudong side of the river. drdw also list the address of the restaurant as Binjiang Ave. According to Google map that only 1KM from the Lujiazui subway station.

NNJ
Level Contributor
3,289 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Pearl of the Orient Cruise Question

There are many companies running the river cruise and each decorates its boat uniquely (It’s fun to watch these lighted boats with different shapes running up and down the river in the evening from the river view room of Hyatt on the Bund). Many of their docks are on the Bund side and in the South Bund area.

S G
shanghai
2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Pearl of the Orient Cruise Question

We are Shanghai Greeters. Glad to answer your questions here.

It's in PUDONG, by the Huangpu River. It's on No. 2852 BingJiang Ave. You can take Metro Line 2 from E. Nanjing Rd. to LuJiaZui Station. You can get out of the metro station from exit 1 and go on FengHe Rd. to the riverside and you won't miss it.

But actually we have a lot of cruise spots near the riverside both PUDONG side and PUXI side. You really have a lot of choices other than Oriental Pearl Cruise. You can walk from E. Nanjing Rd. to the bund and you can see some cruise and ferry stations and you can choose.

We’re friendly and energetic volunteers that would like to show visitors our love for the city and take you out like old friends will do. Volunteer tour guide services are already a worldwide activity (Check out -- http://goo.gl/Sd3aL to request a greeter in your tourist destination!) If you’re ever in Shanghai, give us a shout: www.shanghai.greeters.info