We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

8 Hour Layover - What to do??

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
6 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
8 Hour Layover - What to do??

My friends and I have an 8 hour layover in Shanghai during which we also have to switch airports. We would love to get out and see some of the city, too.

Does anyone know if we have to go through baggage claim, and if we have time to see anything? What should we so while we are there to get a little taste of Shanghai??

Excited to see a new country. Thanks!!!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
6 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 8 Hour Layover - What to do??

I also want to add that I will be there this Saturday, in case there are any cool festivals or anything like that.

Thanks everyone!!

Porto Alegre, RS
Level Contributor
4 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 8 Hour Layover - What to do??

Take the MagLev train from the airport to the city center. Take an hour to walk by the unmissable Bund. It worths!!!.

Cross the river. Go to the top of the Orient Pearl Tower or the JinMao Tower to see the incredible biggest city in the world. In Shanghai most of the signs are written in English. Don't be afraid on getting lost. The chinese people are very kind and will try to help you. Good look.

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
61 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 8 Hour Layover - What to do??

Besides the Bund and Pearl Tower, I suggest the Yu Garden and Old Town too. Shanghai is a city full of contrasts. When you stand in the old town, you'll feel it.

Saturday's traffic is very good.

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
19,712 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 8 Hour Layover - What to do??

Can you supply more details? What time will you be there. When you say switch airports, from which airport will you be arriving and from which departing? Will you be carrying your luggage?

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
455 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 8 Hour Layover - What to do??

yes, i do agree what ThanksSocialSecurity say. But generally speaking 8 hours is still long enough to have a short shanghai city tour .

Two days ago i picked up my client from pudong airport at 2pm and took her around about 4 hours. and sent her back to airport afterwards to catch next flight. ( If you have shipped your luggage to the destination, then you do not need to claim your luggage, which will also save your time for sightseeing. )

regards

qinqin

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
455 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 8 Hour Layover - What to do??

oh, i toured my client to people's square, xintiandi, nanjing road , the bund and finished in Lujiazui area. She really enjoyed it a lot.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
6 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 8 Hour Layover - What to do??

We will get to shanghai at 13:00 and leave around 21:00. Landing in hongqiao and flying out of pu dong :)

I assume and hope our bags will get transferred for us, but I've never switched airports, so I do't really know how that works.....

Edited: 4:47 am, July 25, 2013
Dublin, California
Level Contributor
19,712 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 8 Hour Layover - What to do??

I highly doubt that your bags will be transferred for you. So that's your first problem, having to carry your bags around with you. On flying out you probably need to check in 2 hrs before flight time, so you need to be at PVG at about 19:00. Time to travel between two airports is probably about 1.5 hrs via taxi, plus about 30 min getting out of the airport and waiting for your bags. So that leaves you about 5 hrs effectively.

Since you'll have your bags with you, my suggestion is to pre-book a tour guide with a car. The guide can take you around Shanghai and then onto PVG, while your bags stay in the car.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
11,957 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 8 Hour Layover - What to do??

1- SHA and PVG are located on opposite sides of Shanghai city itself, not an easy nor short transfer. There is nothing near the airports.

2- You will have all your luggage with you.

3- You have time to tour, but you will have your luggage with you.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
6 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 8 Hour Layover - What to do??

Yeah, I figured I would have my bags with me. I'll have a backpacking backpack, so it's not so bad. How do I find a good tour to book?