We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport train connection

Which Shanghai hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Mclean, VA
Level Contributor
27 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Airport train connection

Hi- I leave for shanghai in a week and plan to take the MAGLEV high-speed train from the airport to the city. Someone gave me all the details about it. However, they cautioned that although it is at Pudong Airport, it requires carrying luggage through five escalators and across skybridges over a highway. Does anyone know if that can be true? It seems silly to provide this ultra fast ride to town for air travelers and not to have made it user friendly for luggage. What do you think?

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
13,255 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Airport train connection

It's quite a long walk from the arrivals concourse to where the Maglev is, but it's not luggage-unfriendly.

BTW, please also note that the Maglev drops you somewhere in the boonies of Pudong (not downtown Shanghai), where a host of "black" taxis lurk.

Mclean, VA
Level Contributor
27 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airport train connection

ELLYSE, thanks for the advice on the train connection to the boonies in the Pudong area of Shanghai. Visually, how can I tell a "black taxi" from a legitimate taxi? Fiennes

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
13,255 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Airport train connection

You can't, actually... except that they tend to be the dark-red-coloured ones. I've heard of them asking for 500 RMB just to go to the Grand Hyatt! :(

I'd recommend my regular cabbie for a pick-up, but TripAdvisor doesn't seem to like advertising... even when it's NOT! :(

Mclean, VA
Level Contributor
27 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airport train connection

Do you know if the train system has a taxi dispatcher at Longyang station like they might at an airport? Do taxis queue up or is it a chaotic situation? Do you have advice on how to negotiate without Chinese language skills? Use a calculator? I'm really glad I have a community of travelers with whom to work this out!

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
13,255 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Airport train connection

No, it doesn't, unfortunately. :( The taxis do queue up, but they won't go by the meter, they all want to negotiate (ultra-high) fares!

vw
london
Level Contributor
262 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Airport train connection

It was fun but .... please see my report:

tripadvisor.com/…3474960

At Longyang station the taxis queue up but they all want your business. It was quite chaotic. I remember, a female taxi driver pulled up in front of the taxi queue, asked us where we were going and then grapped my sons's luggage and asked us to follow her. After a 12 hrs flight, it was the last thing we need. I got hold of the luggage from her and got in the first taxi in the queue. No problem there, we have out hotel name and loacation printerd out. Also, no problem in insisting the driver to use meter.

In hind sight, we could have use the train in the return journey instead. Get a taxi from the hotel to Longyang will avoid all these problem. :))