We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

sightseeing

Which Shanghai hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Scranton, Pa
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Topic
sightseeing

If we stay at the Pudong Shangri-la, is it a problem to get to the Bund area for restaurants and sightseeing? Is it easy to get a cab back at night? Aare the streets safe for couples at night near the hotel and in other areas?

Shanghai
Level Contributor
699 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: sightseeing

There can be problems with taxis to and from Pudong, however if you use public transport like the ferries running accross the river right to the Bund and Nanjing road, or the metro train it will be fast and very little cost.

If you catch a taxi from say the French Quarter or Xintandi, tell them to go via Fuxing Tunnel, slightly longer but alot faster.Same story when you leave the hotel going in the other direction.

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
13,259 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: sightseeing

No problem getting to the Bund area, there'll be plenty of taxis waiting for you at the hotel; or else just take the metro, it'll be lots faster too.

It's easy to get a taxi back to Pudong Shangri-La at night, but you could be waiting a long time for any taxi if it's raining!

Yes, the streets are generally safe at night.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
1,412 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: sightseeing

I whole heartedly agree with Ellyse on the taxi in the rain!!! Sometimes you can wait in the tunnel for 45 minutes going from side to side in a car. I would only book on the Pudong side if I was doing business in Pudong, or if I got an incredible deal on the Shangri-la If you are a tourist, you are going to be spending all of your time on the Puxi side, best to book the Four Seasons. Yes, the streets are safe. Also, the Bund really isn't known for restaurants, there are a few nice ones at three on the Bund, but the French Concession is where you want to be for sightseeing, restaurants, cool shopping, in my opinion.

Shanghai
Level Contributor
699 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: sightseeing

What is being said here is yes you can "Get" a taxi but the traffic is so congested travelling under the main tunnel, not the fuxing tunnel, that it is no uncommon in peakhour to sit 45 mins in that traffic for a 2 kilometre distance.

Add to that spending more than 20minutes confined in the tunnel itself in a Shanghai taxi, is an experience most people would want to avoid.

So the ferry or the train in peak hour, or any sign of rain would be the way to go.

Shanghai,China
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: sightseeing

you can try the bund sightseeing tunnel.It's easier.

And there are nice restaurant alongthe bund,such as M on the bund and three on the bund.They have roof garden.It has a nice view especially at night. At night, all lights are opened. it just likes a paradise on earth.

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
13,259 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: sightseeing

Someone mentioned to me that the Bund sightseeing tunnel was really tacky though.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
1,412 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: sightseeing

sightseeing tunnel is great!!!! Where else would you see somehting like this???

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
13,259 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: sightseeing

Wonderfully tacky and pretty much overpriced though.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
1,412 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: sightseeing

That's the beauty of vacation. Overpriced is relative. I am sure that dDad312 will find it relatively cheap. I always recc taking the tunnel to Pudong, then Pearl tower( top and bottom for the museusm-I think that is the highlight). Then take cab back.

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
13,259 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: sightseeing

Ok my clarification... overpriced meaning it wasn't worth the money. :P