We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How easy is it to use the Metro from Hongqiao?

Queenstown, New...
Level Contributor
14 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
How easy is it to use the Metro from Hongqiao?

Dear T/A experts

We (3 adults) will be arriving in Shanghai on June 12th from Beijing via the Bullet train. We anticipate taking a train that will arrive around 2 - 3pm. I have contacted my hotel (Grand Mercure SHANGHAI ZHONGYA) to ask about the transportation from Hongqiao to the hotel. They have suggested taking a taxi, and suggested it would be around 80RMB.

My question is how easy is it to catch a taxi from the station or should we use the metro?

I have taken a look at the metro map and figured if we caught a train from Hongqiao Railway Station (Line 2) and changed at People's Square on to Line 1 and disemarked at Shanghai Railway it would only be 15RMB. Is the Shanghai metro easy to navigate? Or would we be more comfortable taking a cab?

Thanks in advance.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
41,798 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How easy is it to use the Metro from Hongqiao?

For sure a taxi is simpler but the subway is super easy. Search for some videos of it on YouTube. The only thing is that the transfer at People Square involves a long walk.

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
20,862 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How easy is it to use the Metro from Hongqiao?

Depends on how much luggage you have. People's Square station is one of the worse station: old, lots of people. So if you have lots of luggage it may not be easy to navigate at the exchange. Also some stations may not have escalators.

NNJ
Level Contributor
3,379 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How easy is it to use the Metro from Hongqiao?

Taxi line at hongqiao is usually very long (onetime we had to wait for about hour), but changing subway line is not fun either at any station with luggage. If you have one carryon, take subway; otherwise, wait for the taxi.

Queenstown, New...
Level Contributor
14 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How easy is it to use the Metro from Hongqiao?

That's awesome guys, thanks for your quick responses ... we will only have cabin size luggage so we could take the metro.

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
5,716 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How easy is it to use the Metro from Hongqiao?

Very easy and cheap take the metro and in fact it is faster too.

6. Re: How easy is it to use the Metro from Hongqiao?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, April 24, 2014