We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shanghai in July - steamy?

Which Shanghai hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
154 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Shanghai in July - steamy?

Hello all -

I have an opportunity to go to Shanghai for work at the end of July. Typically, is the weather steamy at the time, or just hot? I live in the Phoenix area, so hot is pretty much standard, but hot and humid is a bit different.

If hot and humid, is the weather typically the type that keeps you from much outside exploring?

Thanks in advance.

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
2,237 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shanghai in July - steamy?

Hot and humid! 35-40C during the day and 30-35C in the evening/night. Extremely humid. No fun at all to do sightseeing outside. Even too warm to sit outside and enjoy a beer - at least for me.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
39,768 posts
815 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shanghai in July - steamy?

Right, the big difference with be the very high humidity.

Miami Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Shanghai Region
Level Contributor
6,494 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shanghai in July - steamy?

The weather questions each year can provoke a lot of responses, depending on your perspective. We all tend to remember the worst days, and forget average days. Then we see the heat index/real feel temperatures and later confuse them with the actual scientific degrees Celsius.

The actual average high temperatures for July are 32C (China Highlights), 31C (weather.com), 32C (BBC) and 24C (China Highlights), 24C (weather.com) and 23C (BBC) for lows.

The heat index can go much higher, based on humidity. Temperatures can be above and below those averages. It is not uncommon for a hot spell during July when the heat index can be in the high 40sC for several days, but the real temperature 10C or more lower.

Of all the websites on this subject, I like this one best: weatherspark.com/averages/…Shanghai-China

If you scroll down to the second graph, you will see that July is categorized as 2% comfortable, 54% warm and 44% hot. That sums up my impressions.

Shanghai is at the juncture of the Yangtze River and the East China Sea, in the low-lying delta area. This moderates the temperature (compared to interior cities) but intensifies the humidity. Thus, the highest temperature ever recorded is 40.2C in Shanghai, but with a humidity around 84% bracket some days, and n average temperature of 32C, it feels like 46, or 115F. You get the idea.

Chinese like to keep their bodies covered, in general, especially the men in black suits! Plenty of tourists however are seen in a minimal, but tasteful, amount of cotton clothing.

You are far more acclimated than a Minneapolis or Toronto resident. You might have fewer problems with it than most. I don't mind Shanghai so much in the summer, as it is only modestly more uncomfortable than Southern Florida. I learn to live with it and stay in the shade a lot. Many women carry sunbrellas. The men, we just suffer.

I would go for the experience of it all. Presumably paid for by your employer, your trip would be an eye-opening experience. At least it is for most.

Edited: 4:41 pm, March 25, 2013
NNJ
Level Contributor
3,044 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shanghai in July - steamy?

Well, the end of July is better than later June to early July, in terms of hummidity. But it'll still too humid for you (from Scottsdale).

5. Re: Shanghai in July - steamy?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, March 27, 2014