We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Labour day 2013 in Shanghai

Which Shanghai hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Milan, Italy
Level Contributor
3 posts
83 reviews
Save Topic
Labour day 2013 in Shanghai

Hi, I am planning a journey to Shanghai from April 26 to May 4. I know that April 29, 30 and May 1 is bank holiday and I expect more crowd than in normal days, but since I cannot change the days I was wondering if the local tourism will affect strongly my visit or if it will be somehow ok (considering that it will be a 3 days bank holiday and not an entire week).

Would it be possible to go to Suzhou, the water villaes and Hanzhou in those days? Any recommendation about places to avoid in those days? Subway will be ok even if crowded? Any suggestion will be much appreciated!

Thanks

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
39,320 posts
814 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Labour day 2013 in Shanghai

I would expect Suzhou or Hangzhou to be more problematic as these are ideal destinations for Chinese tourists for a long weekend. As you say, not much you can do. Just deal with the crowds. You can still enjoy the big open spaces. It is more problematic in indoor attractions like museums as it gets hard to get close to the exhibits.

Milan, Italy
Level Contributor
3 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Labour day 2013 in Shanghai

Thank you very much for your quick answer! But would it be worthy going there anyway? Otherwise I have to change my plans and destination, but it would be a pity since it's a long time I have been dreaming of Shanghai...

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
39,320 posts
814 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Labour day 2013 in Shanghai

Do not change your plans. Consider this as part of the experience. Something to remember.

NNJ
Level Contributor
2,999 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Labour day 2013 in Shanghai

Agree with JPD 100%

Beijing, China
Destination Expert
for Guilin, Xi'an, Tibet
Level Contributor
4,915 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Labour day 2013 in Shanghai

Agree with above. Small spots might be very crowed but affordable. Don't worry, worst time is 1st Oct.

Milan, Italy
Level Contributor
3 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Labour day 2013 in Shanghai

Thank you all for the replies!

Miami Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Shanghai Region
Level Contributor
6,476 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Labour day 2013 in Shanghai

Avoid Hangzhou during May Day holidays. Town is overrun, prices go way up, and what is so great about a peaceful park when you cannot get through the crowds of humanity? Even bike riding is absurd, as buses, cars and pedestrian crowd out the bikes. Restaurants are filled, etc etc. So go on 27 & 28, which are working days and the town will be fine.

I would explore Shanghai, its parks, Old Shanghai, Confucius Temple, Museums, etc. on the holidays. Just get to YuYuan when it opens, also the Shanghai Museum. Shanghai holds 23 million, so it easily handles the holiday crowds.

Jaipur, India
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Labour day 2013 in Shanghai

I am planning a trip to china from 22nd April to 2nd May. Would be in Shanghai on 29,30 April,1,2 May. Is it okay in the big cities? Or should i completely avoid the Labor day timings?

Providenciales
Level Contributor
843 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Labour day 2013 in Shanghai

I'm going to have to agree with So Be Sparky. I'd avoid Hangzhou and any other big tourist sites. It simply isn't worth it. West Lake is renowned for being relaxing, but less so when you can barely see the lake with the crowds. Add in the negative side effects (such as increased litter, tough time getting taxi's, tour groups with megaphones) and you are better off picking a different experience.

The tourist attractions in Shanghai will be crowded also but you can still enjoy the city (such as walks through old town, French Concession and the many fine restaurants and bars that actually tend to be quieter during holidays).

Pretty much every expat I know in Shanghai does NOT travel in China during Chinese holidays. The hassle and crowds simply aren't worth it. Chingming is tomorrow. This afternoon it took me three hours to travel a route that normally takes 45 minutes. Tomorrow will be carnage on the roads.....

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
62 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Labour day 2013 in Shanghai

If you want to go to Hangzhou, I think you'd better go there on 26th and 27th since the transportation there is not good, especailly during the weekends and holidays. And then you can back to Shanghai to spend the rest few days.