We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Woolens required or not?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
158 posts
115 reviews
Save Topic
Woolens required or not?

We will be visiting Shanghai and Beijing from 14th to 21st March 2013. I was wondering if somebody could please advise if we should carry some woolens with us and if we should expect rain/snowfall etc.Plus can somebody also advise of any website from where I can check the domestic flight ticket rates from Shanghai to Beijing.

Thanks in advance for your help.

1. Re: Woolens required or not?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 8:41 am, March 07, 2013
Edited: 8:41 am, March 07, 2013
Miami Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Shanghai Region
Level Contributor
6,532 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Woolens required or not?

There is a heat wave in eastern China right now, but it will end and spring will return.

Expect low temps each day around 0C in Beijing. Best advice is to take lighter layers than woolens. So undershirt, blouse, light sweater and windbreaker. As day goes on you will want to shed your layers. You will be taking off sweater as it gets warmer. Carry daypack for excess clothes, bottled water, etc.

In Shanghai, high temps will be around Beijing's, but night-time will go down to only 7C.

Don't take heavy bulky winter coat to Bejing this time of year. Unnecessary bulk to have to carry around in luggage. Too warm during day for it.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
35,270 posts
353 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Woolens required or not?

If you can find them, fine woollen layers are ideal, esp merino. Mine are made in China but bought in NZ!! I wear them right up until the heat hits in Zhuhai. You don't sweat as much in wool and it is so light. When I lived further north they were absolutely essential.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
158 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Woolens required or not?

Hey guys thanks so very much for that info...really very helpful..sorry but another thing that is bothering me is about the pollution level in Beijing at the moment...are people still wearing masks? Wonder if I will be roaming around the sightseeing spots with mask.

California
Level Contributor
587 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Woolens required or not?

You can buy masks in Beijing, think of it as a fashion statement!

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
42,063 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Woolens required or not?

The kind of masks that you buy off the street shops are totally useless. You are only visiting, not living there. It should do nothing for you, unless you are already sensitive.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
158 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Woolens required or not?

Hahaha...I like CASmile's statement...fashion statement with masks....anyways thanks a lot...I will take jean-Pierre's advise since I will be there for only 4 days...is it possible to take the morning bullet train from Beijing to Shanghai and catch a 9PM flight on the same day from Shanghai?

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
42,063 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Woolens required or not?

Yes, the bullet train is about 5 hours. If you flight departs from Pudong, add another hour to get there.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
158 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Woolens required or not?

Thanks a lot guys...any idea how can I book the bullet train from Shanghai to Beijing?

Miami Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Shanghai Region
Level Contributor
6,532 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Woolens required or not?

Pollution in Beijing and Shanghai is relative. Consider it bad most times. In January and February there were extremely high pollution days in both Shanghai and Beijing. The weather was partially responsible.

A few times a year, the news media like to publish pictures of residents with masks, and then feature a story about the dangerous pollution. This makes a lasting and incorrect impression. Most of the time it is not dangerous but merely "unhealthy" or "very unhealthy."

The AQI 2.5 Index for Beijing's January days was off the chart, somewhere above 500, considered dangerous. You can get the current pollution readings here: http://www.aqicn.info/city/beijing/

The news reports of absolutely dangerous air pollution are two month's old. It is comparable to complaining about the tropical storms of last fall, way out of date.

Today's reading is 167 for Beijing, considered "unhealthy," a normal state. Always take a bottle of water with you, and moisten your mouth and throat every so often with little sips, more so if you are doing a lot of talking. Otherwise you might end up with a sore throat from the pollution.