We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accommodation near Xintiandi

Which Shanghai hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
48 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Accommodation near Xintiandi

Hi everyone, I will be taking a short course at Xintiandi for about 7 days. Due to tight budget, and need to travel to Xintiandi everyday, I need a walking distance accommodation but nearby hotel are pricey. Am looking at JI Hotel but is fully booked, another choice is Marvel Hotel. My parent will also be travelling with me.

Appreciate your suggestion on the hotel, thanks:)

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
5,716 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Accommodation near Xintiandi

Marvel hotel is better than JI hotel.Its location is also better .Marvel is about 15 minutes walk to Xintiandi.

Others are like the Frasers residences apartment,New Harbour apartments.,Mason hotel,JinChen hotel,motel 168 Jinling east road,New Westlake hotel,Green Tree Inn Xintiandi.

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
5,716 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Accommodation near Xintiandi

Above mentioned are the affordable and budget hotels.

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
19,076 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Accommodation near Xintiandi

Shanghai subway is so cheap it'd be better to find an affordable hotel near a subway line and take subway to Xintiandi.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
48 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Accommodation near Xintiandi

I will book Marvel Hotel as it is only 15 mins walk and is affordable for me and my elderly parent.

Also I read the recent news about hazardous in Shanghai due to a sandstorm in north China and everyone is almost wearing mask. Is it consider normal in Shanghai? Do you think the weather still gets hazy during early April?

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
19,076 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Accommodation near Xintiandi

That was Beijing, not Shanghai. There is no sandstorm in Shanghai.

NNJ
Level Contributor
2,999 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Accommodation near Xintiandi

No sandstorm in Shanghai. However, hazy is a year around thing for Shanghai.

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
5,716 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Accommodation near Xintiandi

sandstorm and cold spell expected Beijing this week But not in Shanghai.Its much better in Shanghai compared to Beijing ,they are well separated by almost 1400km away by car,

as such we have slightly better quality air even though most often it is still below desirable.,But definately no need mask in Shanghai as one can see in Saigon or Beijing where many wear masks daily.

Miami Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Shanghai Region
Level Contributor
6,476 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Accommodation near Xintiandi

First, you are reading the news from January. Unusual conditions existed then. Shanghai weather and pollution have returned to "normal" for that city. Today it is quite good, at "moderate," light pollution for the city. For a while yesterday, it was "unhealthy." All these categories are quite mild compared to "hazardous," which is when they wear masks. At that point in Beijing the pollution index goes off the scale. Best to stay indoors.

The Shanghai Metro subway system is completely bilingual and quite safe. I do not want to get you worried, but pedestrians are in much greater danger than Metro riders. Always watch very carefully vehicle and bike traffic in ALL directions as you cross a street. The electric bikes have no noise, so they sneak up on you. You can never really relax walking the sidewalks along Shanghai's busy streets.

The Xintiandi Metro stop is on Line 10, see www.exploreshanghai.com and also pull down menu at top for Metropedia. exploreshanghai.com/metro/…

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
48 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Accommodation near Xintiandi

Ok, I will take note. Thanks all for your reply.

10. Re: Accommodation near Xintiandi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, March 17, 2014