We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay in Shanghai

Which Shanghai hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Topic
Where to stay in Shanghai

Hi,

I'll be in Shanghai for 2 nights before catching the train from Shanghai Hongqiao station to Beijing South (bullet train). I have the option of either arriving at Pudong or Hongqiao airport. Can you please advise which place (pudong or hongqiao) is closest to the best shopping malls and The Bund? I can then book a hotel appropriately.

I'll be arriving at 8:30pm in August.

1. Re: Where to stay in Shanghai

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:30 am, February 19, 2013
Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
2,237 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay in Shanghai

You want to stay in a central location. Hongqiao is off the main tourist areas and no fun for you to stay near SHA airport. I suggest you come in via SHA and then take a hotel near the river. Plenty of choice. My personal favorites are the Salvo which is a decent mid-range hotel and the Waldorf Astoria which apparently is at the top end. Do some research here about where to stay as this questions come regularly. Metro line 2 brings you from SHA to Nanjing East Road which is near the two hotels. Or just take a taxi but have the address written down in Chinese.

And please also read about the common scams going on here (tea ceremony/art student etc.)

Edited: 4:41 am, February 19, 2013
Miami Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Shanghai Region
Level Contributor
6,476 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay in Shanghai

Best shopping malls? Not much excellent shopping in Shanghai, as upscale goods are punished with a luxury tax, making them more expensive than in Oz or the UK. Better to buy things at duty free. Fakes are rampant with uneven quality.

A "typical" upper middle class mall is the SuperBrand Mall at the Lujiazui Metro stop, near the Oriental Pearl Tower and Shanghai World Financial Center. All this is on the Pudong side of the Huangpu River, arguably the best place to view (rather than experience) the Bund. So take your pick, Puxi area on the River or Lujiazui.

Follow laowei88's advice on airports, etc.

I would avoid at all costs staying near East Nanjing Road because of the scams, fakes, touts and general hijinks along the street. There are several excellent places in the middling price category noted on the TA hotels review page, tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g308272-Shanghai-Hote…

On the left side, use the filters for price and neighborhood. (They are buggy as I write this, so if they seem suspicious, just scan the top hotels.)

NNJ
Level Contributor
2,998 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay in Shanghai

There are too many shopping malls in Shanghai; you probably should not pick the airport or hotel based on malls.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay in Shanghai

thanks guys for the tips. East nanjing road sounds really bad. I'll try to avoid at all costs. I was considering staying at Sofitel Shanghai Hyland but I guess I should scratch that given its on Nanjing Road. Am I right? What about Swissotel Shanghai? The reviews on tripadvisor seem encouraging.

On another note, given that I'm there with my hubby for 3 nights, is it well worth it to go to Hangzhou for a day trip? Viator is doing a trip and here are the highlights:

- Cruise on Hangzhou's magnificent West Lake

- Traditional Chinese tea ceremony at Meijiawu Tea Village

- Visit the Six Harmonies Pagoda (Liuhe Pagoda)

- Walk through the Su Causeway and view fish in Flower Harbor

- Informative and friendly guide

- Includes hotel pickup and drop off

OR

Suzhou and Zhouzhuang Water Village Day Trip

-Visit the two picturesque towns of Suzhou and Zhouzhuang water village

-Gondola cruise through the beautiful waterways of Zhouzhuang

-Stroll through the gardens of Net Master, a great example of a typical Ming -Dynasty garden

-See Chinese silk being produced at the silk-spinning factory

-Chinese style lunch

-English-speaking guide

- Hotel pickup and drop off from Shanghai hotels

Is it worth it?

6. Re: Where to stay in Shanghai

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 am, February 22, 2014