We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

in shanghai overnight which 5 star property near market

new york city
Level Contributor
22 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
in shanghai overnight which 5 star property near market

I am taking my 5 daughters on a cruise that will end its travels in shanghai.since time will indeed be at issue can anyone recommend a 5 star property that is close to the markets that sell bags and shoes like the science and technology market or580 west nanjiing rd? i am open to suggestions of other markets also, i am not one to shop at all, but would it be safe to let them go themselves they range from 25 to 8? thank you

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
5,716 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: in shanghai overnight which 5 star property near market

Walk ,walk it is good for health and keep the body lean and fit.In most parts of Shanghai it is very nice to walk.

Yes it is true that it may seem near to us when it is in fact very far to foreigners as we are actually brought up with walking a lot.,until of course the subway came into existence.

Save a alot and a way to exercise.The good thing about Shanghai is one hardly get lost even with walking,most of the stret directions are well labelled and besides most locals like us are ever ready to help you with directions even though a 2 km walk is short for us.,so we tell you it is very near.

Mentioned in this post
Shanghai
Shanghai
Shanghai Region, China
San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
13,391 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: in shanghai overnight which 5 star property near market

Walking is always the best way to see a city, especially old parts of town, messy little shops and restaurants or local markets, you see moms and pops and people arguing.

For travelers, business or tourists, they are usually on their feet from early morning to late at night. The two most precious things are time and energy, there is so much to see and so many places to go or people to meet, but there is not enough time and energy. After many hours of shopping or business meetings, that 10 minutes walk back to the hotel can be a drag, not to mention the rush hour subway, hot Asian weather or rain.

For me personally, location is always No.1 when selecting a hotel, I always want to be in a hotel the moment I walk out the front door there are 1 million people and 10,000 shops. Older part of the city is always best.

Locals (in whatever cities) tend to suggest their newest fancy areas with tall high rises and European designer shops. The problem with all these new areas is that the streets are too wide, sidewalks are empty, office buildings are closed and no shops; you can walk 10 blocks without seeing people or shops. Reason locals suggest these hotels is because these are their proudest areas, they don't realize we have tall buildings, glittering shopping centers and big roads long before China, we don't travel around the world to see fancy new office buildings or European designer stores. Many of these high end hotels takes 10 minutes just to walk out the hotel compound/garden.

One may also want to consider how far an 8 years old girl can walk and what it is like in a very crowded Shanghai subway for a child. Imagine yourself with your 8 year old daughter on a very crowded Indian bus, it is not as romantic as it sounds.

Mentioned in this post
Shanghai Subway
Shanghai Subway
2,845 Reviews
Shanghai, China
23. Re: in shanghai overnight which 5 star property near market

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, February 24, 2014