We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bullet Train vs. flying--Shanghai to BJ

Which Shanghai hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Southborough...
5 posts
Save Topic
Bullet Train vs. flying--Shanghai to BJ

I was excited by the idea of taking the Bullet Train from Shanghai to Beijing on 1/14 but have heard some negatives such as navigating the train station for tickets, uncomfortable seats (this feedback from Chinese), etc. I've been in Hong Kong for 6 days and have 2 heavy bags. The train station is close to my hotel. Recommendations?

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
39,708 posts
815 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bullet Train vs. flying--Shanghai to BJ

These reasons would certain not be valid ones. The seats are very comfortables, similar to business class on a plane. The train stations at both ends of this journey are very modern and look like airports. Everything is clearly indicated in Chinese and english. There is certainly nothing complicated about them.

You have to carry the luggage yourself but there are escalators. On a domestic flight you are limited to one piece of luggage of 20kg per person.

Maybe those Chinese have never been on the high speed trains and were talking about old trains with hard seats.

Miami Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Shanghai Region
Level Contributor
6,486 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bullet Train vs. flying--Shanghai to BJ

Consider also the close-in Beijing South Railway Station versus the airport. Air traffic delays tend to frustrate flyers. The train gives a fleeting glimpse of the country-side, should you wish to see it, and generally is more comfortable as you can move around far more freely.

Given probable hotel door-to-door times are about equal, I would opt for the train to be more user friendly and less claustrophobic.

Southborough...
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Bullet Train vs. flying--Shanghai to BJ

That's very helpful. I'm taking the train!

Southborough...
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Bullet Train vs. flying--Shanghai to BJ

Good point about seeing the countryside; the train sounds much better to me than the plane.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
31,604 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bullet Train vs. flying--Shanghai to BJ

I took the new GZ to BJ train last week (part way only) and the train is way more comfortable IMO. There is more leg room and the air quality is better. You can use your electronic devices without restriction etc. 2 large bags may be a problem as there is not a lot of storage.

When the BJ to SH line opened the SCMP sent two journalists on a race and the air route won by minutes only, with the train passenger feeling much more relaxed.

Lloydminster, Canada
Level Contributor
3 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bullet Train vs. flying--Shanghai to BJ

We took the VIP seats. We had flat bed seats, like business class in airlines. It was more fun and less stressed than flying. The rail station in Shanghai was like an airport. Thoroughly enjoyed the trip.

Sunnyvale,California...
Level Contributor
310 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bullet Train vs. flying--Shanghai to BJ

The train is definitely better than flying from Shanghai to Beijing. I took the train in October 2012 and found it very comfortable and convenient. It took under five hours by train but it's actually a time saver as you don't have the long security checks and you don't have to check in two hours before departure. Also by taking the train, you leave and arrive at the city center and can take the metro in Shanghai and Beijing. I had the concierge at my hotel purchase the tickets for me for a small fee. It saved me alot of time and headache but I've heard you can also purchase the tickets at travel agencies for a small fee as well. Good luck and happy travels.

Edited: 11:09 pm, January 11, 2013
Toronto
Level Contributor
17 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bullet Train vs. flying--Shanghai to BJ

We are planning to do the same in March. Either Beijing-Shanghai or Shanghai-Beijing, depending on where we decide to fly into.

Would be interested to hear your feedback on how you found the journey. Of course, any insight/advice would be really appreciated, too.

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
2,754 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bullet Train vs. flying--Shanghai to BJ

taking train will be better since consider all the time for arrive airport in advance, way to the airport from the city, etc. train is more convenient but also more punctual than the flight.

Blaine
3 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Bullet Train vs. flying--Shanghai to BJ

Does anyone know what the baggage restrictions are? Also, how much would it be from Beijing to Shanghai using the train?