We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Euro or RMB

Which Shanghai hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
IRELAND
Level Contributor
82 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Euro or RMB

Travelling to Shanghai in March from Ireland. Will I get a better rate if I change Euro to RMb in Shanghai or should I get my RMB in Ireland?

NNJ
Level Contributor
2,955 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Euro or RMB

Depends, like everything else.

My experiences is:

ATM with a no fee card>US Bank>Shanghai Bank>> Forex booth (never get local currency at these booths).

This is applicable to any country, probably.

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
5,716 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Euro or RMB

Exchange rates in Shanghai is quite fixed whether you exchanged in the banks,ATMs ,or the banks related exchange counters at the airport or in the city.The lowest been at the hotels/malls where the rates are low.

China has a strict monetory control and as such there is no private or small money exchange /transfer shops at the streets just like some other asian countries where it is a common sight and you could negotiate for a better rate.

The highest rate one can get is by the illegal money changer hanging just outside the main banks but it is a high risk as you may end up with fakes.

It all depends whether you can get a better rate at your hometown.,and especially i dont advise tourists and foreigners to exchange with them.

Nuremberg, Germany
Level Contributor
7,173 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Euro or RMB

You get far better rates in Shanghai then what you get in Europe for RMB.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
38,840 posts
808 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Euro or RMB

Definitely better to get your RMB in China. Using ATMs is the easiest as you do not need to carry all that cash and you get the best rate.

5. Re: Euro or RMB

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:17 pm, January 06, 2014