We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

new 72-hr visa free transit

Which Shanghai hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
san francisco
Level Contributor
240 posts
Save Topic
new 72-hr visa free transit

Hi

I just read this new 72-hr visa free transit news and want to confirm that I can take advantage of it.

We hold U.S. passport. We plan to arrive Shanghai from Kuala Lumpur on airasia in May. And within 72-hr, we will depart on either Cathay Paicif or American airline back to U.S.

Could all the experts confirm that we can use this new visa policy? And also this policy can be used at both shanghai and beijing arrival? I know you cannot travel outside the city we arrive

thank you

Cambridge...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
41. Re: new 72-hr visa free transit

Can anyone share their details/experiences with respect to the printed ticket? Do we need our actual boarding pass printed and in hand? Or will an e-ticket number suffice?

We are flying into Shanghai and leaving for Phuket 3-4 hours later. (i.e., less than 24 hours, much less than 72). However, I'm not sure what specific documentation we need to present. Many thanks in advance for any help/advice.

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
5,000 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
42. Re: new 72-hr visa free transit

The 72 hour privilege is again irrelevant in your case. You will require documentation of your confirmed onward flight if you pass through immigration. If you already have a boarding pass this would probably be because you have a direct airside transit. If in doubt go to the transfer counters. Is it the same carrier, through tickets?

Cambridge...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
43. Re: new 72-hr visa free transit

Thanks for the reply, Qupnicely, that's kind of what I thought, but I wasn't sure if anything else had changed with the new visa exception.

Our connection is not through the same carrier -- hence the (mild) anxiety. I have, in hand, an e-ticket verification through http://www.travelsky.com/ but that's the best I can do, I think. I'm flying in on American Airlines and connecting to Shanghai Airlines (long story). I do plan on heading to the transfer/transit counters, on the assumption that I can get an even more *official* onward documentation -- unless you think the e-ticket receipt/verification is good enough. In any case, I just wanted to know if any others had other advice/experiences. Thanks for the help!

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
5,000 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
44. Re: new 72-hr visa free transit

Nothing has changed, as far as I know, regarding the pre-existing transit rules. The introduction of the 72 hr privilege this year is an addition. You will need to show that you hold confirmed onward tickets when checking in for the flight out in the first place.

Wellington, New...
3 posts
Save Reply
45. Re: new 72-hr visa free transit

Hi - can you tell me the best way to get from Pudong Airport to the Bund. We(three) are staying for 70 hours.

Taxi van or metro? we arrive at 7am....

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
38,816 posts
808 reviews
Save Reply
46. Re: new 72-hr visa free transit

This thread is about visa-free transit. Start a new thread.

S P
Shanghai, China
1 post
Save Reply
47. Re: new 72-hr visa free transit

I will be flying Jakarta -> Shanghai (72 hours) -> Vancouver. Do I need to contact customs or anyone else prior to arrival or do I just need to show my proof of onward ticket upon arrival?

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
38,816 posts
808 reviews
Save Reply
48. Re: new 72-hr visa free transit

What passport do you hold? This is not available to everybody.

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
8,397 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
49. Re: new 72-hr visa free transit

#47, And why does your profile say Shanghai, China? If you're based there, you'd presumably have a Chinese Residence Permit and the entire TWOV issue is irrelevant to you.

Sapporo, Japan
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
50. Re: new 72-hr visa free transit

Hi, I'm flying from Sapporo to Hong Kong via Shanghai. The first leg of the trip, I plan to stay in Shangai for roughly 70 hours. Is this fine (as Hong Kong is technically part of China)?

I am a Canadian, so I won't need a visa for Hong Kong. It is the same airline for this trip (China Air), so will they provide me with the ticket to Hong Kong in addition to Shanghai?

Also, how do I register with the police after checking into the hotel? I have read previously that the hotel will take care of this. Is this true?