We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

China Visa in Stolen Passport/Invitation Letter

Lakewood, Colorado
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Topic
China Visa in Stolen Passport/Invitation Letter

I will be applying for a Chinese Visa in early December and i have a few questions. I have been to China before and the Passport the previous visa was in was stolen. Some people indicate that you need to provide a copy of the old visa when applying for a new one. I cannot do so will that be a problem? On the back of my new passport it does indicate that this is a replacement passport.

Also, I will be staying with my brother and he sent me an invitation letter. A very simple letter. Does anybody have a sample of what it should look like? Or would a simple letter suffice? He emailed it to me, does it need to be signed?

On the application it asks Who will pay for your cost of traveling and living during your stay in China. I will be staying at his place but will pay for my costs for everything else, should I check Myself or Inviter?

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
2,237 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: China Visa in Stolen Passport/Invitation Letter

Didn't you ask this in another post already?

1. No need to show the last visa. Just makes things a bit easier like "OK, he has been there and returned so no prob to issue the visa to him"

2. No special form for the invitation. Usually his address, copy of ID-page and visa page of his passport and his signature. Email copy is enough but depends on who is sitting behind the counter. Some missions are very relaxed while others are overexcited about such things. Just give it a try. Don"t waste your time by calling them upfront...

3. YOU pay for the trip. If you tick "inviter" they might ask for a proof of salary from your brother.

Lakewood, Colorado
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: China Visa in Stolen Passport/Invitation Letter

Thank you very much for replying.

My younger brother who is 18 and in high school will be traveling with me. Will it be okay if we clicked that my parents are paying for him? Since kids in high school generally don't have the kind of money for this.

Lakewood, Colorado
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: China Visa in Stolen Passport/Invitation Letter

And can we use the same invitation letter for the both of us?

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
2,237 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: China Visa in Stolen Passport/Invitation Letter

Don"t make it too complicated. The Chinese usually assume that we have enough money to cover a trip to China (whereas Chinese going to Europe need to hand in dozens of papers proving that at European missions in China if not on a group tour) . So on his application you also tick that he pays for it. If they ask "but he he still goes to school" you say that you travel together and you will cover for him. No problem here. Same invitation letter would make even more sense in this case.

Lakewood, Colorado
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: China Visa in Stolen Passport/Invitation Letter

To whom it may concern,

I invite my brother, "name here" to visit and stay with me in Shanghai from blank to blank.

My address is:

1 University Rd

Building 4, Apartment 312

Shanghai, China

My passport number is P123456789

I have attached my passport and residence permit.

Sincerely,

Name Here

M: +138 1234 5678

E: namehere@hotmail.com

How does that look? Need i add anything else?

NNJ
Level Contributor
3,204 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: China Visa in Stolen Passport/Invitation Letter

The invitation letter thing is new (for individual tourists), few know how it works. Someone reported here that he/she got visa without the letter recently. give a try.

Edited: 8:33 am, October 14, 2012
Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Beijing, Shanghai Region, Shenzhen, Bangkok
Level Contributor
7,511 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: China Visa in Stolen Passport/Invitation Letter

All depends on the country and consulate/embassy you apply at. People from different countries will give you advice that may not help you.

Check the online advice of the respective consulate.

Invitation letter usually is a simple one like you proposed. Original signature (not email) usually required, often scanned copy sufficient, sometimes original requested (do not know any case, but there were rumors).

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
2,237 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: China Visa in Stolen Passport/Invitation Letter

Looks fine. Go ahead.

Lakewood, Colorado
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: China Visa in Stolen Passport/Invitation Letter

I am a US citizen if that matters for anything.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
40,656 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: China Visa in Stolen Passport/Invitation Letter

I would not post all this personal info here including passport numbers and phone numbers.....