We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxi scams again

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
581 posts
160 reviews
Save Topic
Taxi scams again

I arrived at the Maglev. Terminal 2 days ago. I had done my homework about the likely cost but the taxi driver told us it was 'very far' and offered 280yuan or the meter to Peoples Square. We knew the likely cost and took the meter. It came to 397 yuan- I have no idea how but the meters are confusing with 3 numbers to the left of the real care which was covered by a receipt roll. I asked for a receipt and he took out a book of unprinted receipts. There was a police car close by and I thought of getting them to sort it but with no Chinese felt unable to do it. I wrote down his number plate but still he chased us into our hotel shouting g. (langham Yangtze) I paid him 100 yuan as I had no change. Perhaps he was a one off but we hope to use to use only the metro in Shanghai. I think a few words of Chinese would have helped. I tried to learn but just didn't

manage. This taxi driver Made the airport touts look good and soured Shanghai for us at the end of an excellent tour of China

Travel China Guide - Shanghai Private One-Day Tour
City Tours, Multi-day Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips
Tours of Jewish Shanghai
Historical & Heritage Tours, Cultural Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
5,716 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: Taxi scams again

taxis scam happen on and off normally withthe smaller companies and the unlicensed ones,But normally they do not get aggresive and will back tract once they know you had wised up with their tricks.

Its a common understanding among us locals that Shanghai man is soft on the inside.

Yes its true that the taxis and the cyclo riders are the worst in Saigon.,most of the cases you need to haggle over the price before startin and even then after having the price written,on reaching the destination sometimes they will still ask a few times more than the agreed sum.

Manila
Level Contributor
89 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: Taxi scams again

While I was in Shanghai for 5 days, my main mode of transportation was by taxi until the 4th day when I had time to wander around and discovered the metro. I did not encounter any issues with meters and have always paid the expected amounts except for the first ride from the airport to Fudan where i think i paid 30 to 40 kuai more than necessary...

London
Level Contributor
216 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: Taxi scams again

The maglev OFFICIAL taxi queue is 100% a scam. When my parents landed they wanted to take the maglev - as most visitors usually do and lo and behold as per normal the official taxis lined up at the official taxi rank were all dodgy - bargaining before you get in, not having their taxi number displayed in the front and having starting rates well above the 14 kuai.

This isn't the first time i've seen this at the maglev station, this is the third time i've had to call up and make a reservation for a taxi to come pick us up - lucky i can speak Chinese and do this but i hate to think my parents would've been ripped off if i'd not been there.

The Maglev station is a complete scam for taxis....stay away!

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
42,841 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: Taxi scams again

100% I doubt it. I had no issue last time I was in Shanghai. So I guess it is no more than 98%. But seriously, much less.

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
5,716 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: Taxi scams again

Im really surprised with the high absolute figure of 100%.At the official queue line i think it only happens rarely and the smart drivers pick on unsuspecting and new tourists thinking that they may be lucky to get away with it.Maybe it happens more often than was reported even with the official announcement at the station and the guidelines on board.

NNJ
Level Contributor
3,544 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
36. Re: Taxi scams again

To me, two occasions, it's 100% normal. The recent was in last july; we had two taxis from the official line (true, both were non-brand taxi). The trip was from the station to seagull restaurant (not seagull hotel). The fare was less than 40CY (could be 32) and one taxi did charge 3 or 4 CY more, but seems normal to me. May be we were just lucky.

Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
104 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
37. Re: Taxi scams again

Ok. One question:

Is it normal to bargain a price before sitting?

Will I be expected to do it, say, at the Maglev station?

In Beijing we always discussed a price for the whole trip before getting on.

Another thing:

I'll be travelling alone. Do I have to take a special precaution lest the driver drives off with my luggage? (yeah, downright theft)

38. Re: Taxi scams again

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, January 07, 2014