We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chinese currency

London, United...
Level Contributor
243 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Chinese currency

I've read that I would get a better rate of exchange if I exchange currency when I get to China. Is this still the case? For example, how much better would the rate be? In the Uk I can currently get 10 cyn per pound. What am I likely to get if I exchange in Shanghai? Im trying to work out if it's worth waiting till I get in. China to change as I'd have the trouble of looking for a bank.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
40,671 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chinese currency

You should not trouble yourself by looking for a bank to exchange money. Bring your bank card and use ATMs.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g294211-c119677/China…

NNJ
Level Contributor
3,204 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chinese currency

Just call your card's bank to inform you will use it in Shanghai. You will not have problem to get cash from ATM in Shanghai and will enjoy the best exchange rate you can get if using debit card (not credit card for cash advance).

It seems there are more ATMs in Shanghai than all other major cities I have visited and they don't charge additional fee.

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
5,716 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chinese currency

You may not necessary always get a better rate in the banks than the ATMs.Hotels have slightly lower rate too.The ones with a high rate are the runner waiting outside the banks illegally., so i dont wish to encourage you in changing with them esp if its not a very big sum.

That too pls be aware that for those who wish to change with them may even end up with some fakes one.,unless with some locals you can trust.I think someone said dont trust anyone in a foreign place.

Yes Shanghai has plenty of ATMs in the airports,railway stations,shopping malls,tourist centers,metro stations.,banks.

London, United...
Level Contributor
243 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chinese currency

Thanks for the advice everyone, it's really helpful.

My bank have said the maximum carge for using my card abroad is 2%, so I will just take money out using ATMs. The link above is very useful.

Edited: 4:43 pm, September 22, 2012
5. Re: Chinese currency

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, December 06, 2013