We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

shanghai crab

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
102 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
shanghai crab

what would be a good place to eat Shanghai crab? we will be two nights in Shanghai, around oct. 20th. I heard crabs are a delicacy this time of year. Also, is there something else we must try while there?

NNJ
Level Contributor
3,253 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: shanghai crab

My favorite is Wangbaohe. Crab is their specialty. They said they have over 100 years history of serving the best crab. It is now a hotel. The restaurant is on the third or fifth floor (don’t remember exactly).

The best time to have it is between later Oct to Dec.

BTW Don’t expect too much from the crab. Based on my observation, only Shanghainese know how to enjoy it.

Edited: 7:52 pm, September 20, 2012
Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
5,716 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: shanghai crab

Dont eat dazhaxie at hotels.,esp for the crabs.Go to the small time restaurants and hairy crab street with rows of shops selling crabs and pick your choices.Eat them like we do ,spit if you must ,and there is simply no gentle ways of eating these hairy creatures.

I alwyas go to 23 Shouning road Xiang ba dao for my regular crab dose.They have them throughout the year but off season very small and now they are only getting bigger but now mostly male crabs.Females crabs my main interest are only well built in November.,with the rich orange red roe.Here my preferred choice is the plain steamed dazhaxie and the clawdads or crawfish fried in ginger and onions.

Apart from Shouning road,i do go to Fomo at 172 Huai hai zhong road sometimes.

tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g303764-d2…

tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g308272-d2…

They are also quite good esp the 13 xiang wei hairy crabs.

Other wise if you prefer eating at bigger and more classy restaurants,you may consider:

LingLong ge ,2F,951 Hong xu road.,near Yan an xilu.I like their dan dan mian with crab roe,simply delicious.,and the sauteed crab roe.

Cheng Long xiefu,216 JiuJIang road,near Jiangxi middle road.

Wang baohe at 603 Fuzhou road,near Zhejiang middle road and another branch at 3rd floor Grand Central hotel.I like their homemade tofu with crab roe.

Xinguang jiujia at 512 Tianjin road,near Guangxi bei road.

Alberta
Level Contributor
130 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: shanghai crab

Sorry if i hijack this post. bennystar99, can I get the address in Mandarin? We were in Shanghai twice in the fall and missed the chance of trying hairy crabs. This time we are determined to see what the craze is about.

Thanks

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
102 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: shanghai crab

thanks for the info!

I will post back once we return, and let you know about the crab experience, but I am quite confident I will like it!

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
5,716 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: shanghai crab

香吧岛,51 or 23 号,守宁路-Xiang ba dao,51 or 23 Shouning roadtel:63280098

复茂小龙虾,172 淮海中路,黄蒲-FOMO xiao long xie,172huai hai middle road,huangpu district.tel:63855152

凌泷阁,虹许路951号-Ling long ge,951,hongxu lu ,tel:532070077

QQ龙吓,180 恒业路/同心路-QQlongxie-180Heng ye road,near Tongxin road. :

新光酒家,天评路512-Xinguang jiu jia-512Tianping road.tel:2163223978

吉土酒家41,天平路-Jesse restaurant jiu jia-41Tianping road.tel:62829360

成龙行蟹王,216号, 九江路,黄蒲-Cheng long hang xie wang,216jiujiang road,huangpu.tel:63212010

王宝和酒家613号,福州路-wang bao he jiu jia,603,fuzhou road or at the 3rd floor Grand Central hotel.,上海大酒店.tel:63223673

Sydney
Level Contributor
83 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: shanghai crab

Great thanks Bennystar99.

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
102 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: shanghai crab

We ended up going to Wangbaohe, 603, fuzhou road. WE loved the crab, it was really good, but SOOO expensive... 200 yuan for one not so big crab! and other things in the menu were comparatively 3 times more expensive that in other places. Also, service and ambience there were not in line with the prices on the menu.

As an afterthought, we should have gone to Xiang ba dao, but, although we had eaten at similar looking places elsewhere in China, for some reason, we decided that we preferred Wangbaohe. Maybe I expected Wangbaohe would have more variety in the menu.

Anyway, I have to say, the crab was really good!

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
5,716 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: shanghai crab

Krabio as you can see that Wangbaohe is on the bottom of my list.The crabs no doubt is delicious but as you found out its too expensive compared to the top few i had listed.

Many tourists stayed away from Shouning road as the road might be unsightly to some and service is non existent and restaurant is so simple but the crabs are very good and much cheaper.

For maybe 6 hairy crabs preferably females with rich egg roe,4 nicely baked oysters,2 kg of ginger fried clawdads and 2 kg of medium spicy of the same,with some stinking tofu and bbq.,the bill might just be about 350 to 400yuan and you feast to your stomach delight.

Alberta
Level Contributor
130 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: shanghai crab

Sorry to hijack this post. Just to say thank you to bennystar99. We had a good meal of crabs and hairy crab in Shanghai

NNJ
Level Contributor
3,253 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: shanghai crab

Krabio, Sorry, I forgot to mention that you should order crab and crab dishes only at Wangbaohe. I agreed with you that their ambiance is not compatible to the price they charge. However, I hope it will make you feel better that the last crab I had there was a 350 CY piece two years ago. And you probably don’t know that where the crabs came from, like wine or tea, makes big difference in price, and more importantly in taste. The best crabs (the only crab I want to have) are from YangCheng (I may not spell it right) Lake. Due to limited production, YC Lake crab comes with a premier price tag. Wangbaohe claims they serve authentic YCL crabs and dares to charge higher price (Note: these days YCL crabs are everywhere, >50% of them are fake).

Since you like the crab, if there is a next time, you should go to the YC Lake to have the real YCL crabs. My friend took us to the middle of the Lake (called some Island) by boat and we picked and chose the crabs from a pool in the lake (I was told that even at the shore of YC Lake, fake YCL crabs are served). The crads were ~30% cheaper and tasted better.

BTW The best crab is the king crab.