We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shanghai, with partner, no kids, bring it on....suggestions?

Which Shanghai hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne
Level Contributor
28 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Shanghai, with partner, no kids, bring it on....suggestions?

Hi, have been to China a couple of times but never the main cities.

we are going first 9 days of November

we have been looking at some of the accommodation that locals rent out, apartments and such, these seem to be popular in the French Concession.

https://www.airbnb.com/search…

We are into bands and bars and restaurants, food markets and shopping.....guess most people are!

love to get in amongst it, not interested in hanging with other tourists or doing organised tours

Would love to catch some good bands while we are there if anyone can help with that, look forward to some suggestions

Can't wait...no kids...tee hee

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
2,237 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shanghai, with partner, no kids, bring it on....suggestions?

Shanghai is not really a sophisticated "live band" city. You have Filipino bands all over the place to entertain the people but would not know a place where you just go for the band. One place I like and where I was a regular was the "Cotton Club" (not the "Cotton" Bar and Resto!). Resident expat jazz/blues band. Closed Mondays and they don't start before 10-11pm. But be there at 9.30pm to get a table. On weekends make it 9pm. .

Nightlife without tourists will be also very difficult unless you are prepared to spend you evenings with eating out in a local restaurant and then go for Karaoke. There is no such thing as "bars where only Chinese go" in Shanghai. In Shanghai "Bar" means that you also see expats. Stay away from Xintiandi, that is for tourists. Only place I recommend there is the "KABB" for a casual pre-dinner drink.

For recommendation on restaurants search the forum.

2. Re: Shanghai, with partner, no kids, bring it on....suggestions?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 3:52 pm, September 06, 2012
Melbourne
Level Contributor
28 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shanghai, with partner, no kids, bring it on....suggestions?

removed at who's request? not mine

thanks for your reply laowai88, when I said we didn’t want to hang with tourists I didn’t mean I feared running into one ;) I guess we are fairly adventurous and enjoy the challenge of not hanging around restaurants and areas that predominantly fill with westerners. Typically these places are expensive and not a true indication of the city itself

Cotton Club noted thanks, I read somewhere to pick up a free ‘what’s on’ type paper that may show live venues

We are into alternative music so to see a cool local band would be our aim

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
19,074 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shanghai, with partner, no kids, bring it on....suggestions?

Chinese don't usually go to bars in the western sense, nor do they go to live band performances. Both of those venues are western and you'll see lots of expats or young "westernized" Chinese. I hear that Boxing Cat is popular for live music.

NNJ
Level Contributor
2,999 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shanghai, with partner, no kids, bring it on....suggestions?

Try Yuyintang on the westside of the city. It plays so called underground music (I didn't get the underground part).

Melbourne
Level Contributor
28 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shanghai, with partner, no kids, bring it on....suggestions?

cool thanks, just got our lonley planet guide to shanghai and that place is mentioned

any other cool things to do during the day? day trips anywhere?

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
2,237 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Shanghai, with partner, no kids, bring it on....suggestions?

Also kind of a day trip: Bubbly Sunday Brunch at the Westin. All-time expat favorite. 538 RMB +15% and includes a huge buffet and free flow of Veuve-Cliquot Champagne. And don't miss the vodka bar! Reservation mandatory and try to sit upstairs at the "Prego" as downstairs are all the families and some performances take place there. Buffet upstairs is more Mediterranean but you can also help yourself at the one downstairs. Same event, same price.

www.westinshanghai.com/dining-sunday-brunch

Edited: 11:52 pm, September 22, 2012
Melbourne
Level Contributor
28 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Shanghai, with partner, no kids, bring it on....suggestions?

thanks that looks great, the photo of the oysters won me

what about clothes shopping, does anyone know if the likes of G-Star or Ben sherman are well priced, compared to Australia?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Shanghai, with partner, no kids, bring it on....suggestions?

Can't go past Sonik Fly at 191 Hengshan Lu, Lithium Band (Ex Major Impact) are playing there. They are one of the best Pinoy Bands in Shanghai and played for 2 years at Luna. They are well worth a night out. Start at 9:30 all nights except Mondays.

Sonik Fly is a little of the track so doesn't over fill with Tourists, more locals and long term expats.

Edited: 6:51 am, October 06, 2012
Melbourne
Level Contributor
28 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Shanghai, with partner, no kids, bring it on....suggestions?

Cheers Ken, we will check it out

thanks