We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pudong Airport to Suzhou and back by train

London, United...
Level Contributor
244 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Pudong Airport to Suzhou and back by train

I will arrive into Shanghai at 23:30 and book into Starway Hotel Pudong International Airport Wanxia for the night. I plan to take a day trip to Suzhou the very next morning.

What is the best train route into SUZHOU from Pudong Airport and the earliest trains possible? I know it would be easier to get a bus from Pudong Airport but the first bus starts at 10am and will get into Suzhou midday so I will have limited time there.

I’d like to be in Suzhou by 10am so I have at least 5 hours before heading back. Will 5 hours be enough time to spend in Suzhou? I could get the last bus back around 4pm but if I miss the bus, what is the last train back to Shanghai and where do I change to get back to Pudong Airport?

I’d like to take the Maglev from and to Pudong Airport along the journey.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

NNJ
Level Contributor
3,933 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pudong Airport to Suzhou and back by train

There is a direct bus to SZ from PVG, but the first one starts at 10A, I think, and it takes more 2.5Hrs.

Some options you have for getting to SZ around 10A:

-take airport bus to Shanghai train station;

-take subway directly to Hongqiao station;

-take Maglev, the taxi or subway to either station;

-take taxi to either station, Shanghai station is closer;

- take subways to Shanghai station;

Taxi can leave PVG anytime.

Subway starts around 6am.

Airport bus starts earlier than 10am, buy may later than 6am.

So if you wants to be in SZ as early as possible, it seems taking taxi to Shanghai station is the first choice.

Edited: 8:41 am, September 03, 2012
Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
5,716 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pudong Airport to Suzhou and back by train

There is no train from Pudong directly to Suzhou.,similarly no train station at Pudong too.The maglev train station is only for the levitation train concerned serving pudong airport to Longyang station.

As such the only option for a direct transfer from Pudong airport to Suzhou is by the long distance bus.,as you are aware of.

However the best way of getting to Suzhou and probably the most comfortable way is still by the D or G trains.G trains are the fastest and there are many leaving from Shanghai main railway station or the Hongqiao railway station daily.

My advice is to stay in a hotel near to Shanghai main railway station or Hongqiao railway station for the night.As you arrive late your option to the hotel is either by the airport bus or the taxi.Depends on which area you wish to stay near to Shanghai main station or Hongqiao.This way you can take the earliest morning G trains to Suzhou,saving you a lot of time.Fastest G train from Hongqiao to Suzhou takes slightly more than 25 minutes.

From Shanghai main slightly longer on average 40 minutes.

You should book your return ticket when you buy your Suzhou ticket.This way of travel is not exhausting and quite relaxed.

The bus is long and exhausting.

The earliest G train from Shanghai main railway station to Suzhou is at 0605 am and earliest G train from Shanghai Hongqiao to Suzhou is at 0700.,trains leaving about every 15mins to half hourly.

3. Re: Pudong Airport to Suzhou and back by train

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 5:36 pm, September 03, 2012
Edited: 5:36 pm, September 03, 2012
4. Re: Pudong Airport to Suzhou and back by train

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 5:36 pm, September 03, 2012
London, United...
Level Contributor
244 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pudong Airport to Suzhou and back by train

drdw and bennystar99, thank you both for the useful advice above.

6. Re: Pudong Airport to Suzhou and back by train

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, October 05, 2013