We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

shanghai restaurants

Which Shanghai hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Healdsburg...
Level Contributor
8 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
shanghai restaurants

we will be in shanghai late april and early may and would welcome suggestions, primarily for local cuisine. Is the Whampoa Club worth the experience? Thanks for internal tickety suggestions.

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
13,259 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: shanghai restaurants

What's your budget like?

The Whampoa Club has been said to have bad service, though I've not been there before. If you want Chinese food with a view of the Bund, try Ai Wan Ting or Lang Yi Fang in Super Brand Mall in Pudong. Advance reservations are required for a window-side table, and average expenditure per person is about 200 RMB onwards.

The Nanxiang xiaolongbao restaurant in the Yuyuan Bazaar is my pick for the world-famous Shanghainese xiaolongbao (little steamer dumplings). If you love food and aren't on a tight budget, head upstairs and to the innermost section where the variety is the greatest! In fact, I've just come back from a wonderful brunch there. :) Be there between 1030--1100, or be prepared to wait for ages.

Shanghai Old Station at Xujiahui is also a good pick. The restaurant is in a building of its own, which used to be a convent. There're also 2 train carriages attached to the restaurant which used to be the personal train carriages of Empress Dowager Cixi and Madam Song Qingling (wife of Sun Yat-Sen). Average expenditure is around 150 RMB per person, depending on what you order.

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
4,923 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: shanghai restaurants

We had great meals at Azul and Viva and Indian Kitchen (Xuhui district) as we were a bit bored with local Chinese 3 X a day after 2 weeks.

M

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
1,412 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: shanghai restaurants

LOVE Indian Kitchen, seriously, I still think about it. There are three locations in Shanghai, just get a That's Shanghai magazine and have the hotel pick the closest location for you. I also love Mesa for fine dining, and Pasta Fresca for a nice pizza. As far as Chinese, Whampoa wasn't worth it for me. Go to South Beauty for Sichuan or Xio Nan Guo for Shanghinese(many locations, but next to the Portman) for a real Chinese experience. Dim Sum, any Bi Feng Tang location, try the shrimp dumplings.Bellagio-2 location in Hong Qiao, love the fried noodles, and mango ice for desert. All these restaurants have English menus, just ask. If you want three on the bund, go to New Heights. Elyses idea is a very good one, if you want a view, go to the Pudong side, I suggest the tourist tunnel, which you can get across the street from three on the Bund, then cab to Super Brand Mall and choose a window table. I believe there is a South Beauty there as well as Indian Kitchen. Also my favorite noodle shop, WuJing Tang,but unfortunately, the beef noodle shop is only written in Chinese on the outside, big red sign, but they do have an English menu. If you absolutely have to have a salad, and sometimes you do, go to a Wagas or Element Fresh location, also nice soups. Same with Blue Frog. All of these restaurants are near the Ritz Portman.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
1,412 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: shanghai restaurants

oops, forgot, across from Azul and Viva, which are great, is an all you can eat Teppanyaki called Taiyro, for about 90rmb you can eat all the teppanyaki, sashimi, beer, saki, soda, you want. Make a reservation as the Dongping lu location is busy. This is a very casual restaurant, you'll see a lot if expats here. Also, if you just need a burger, go to Malone's, mostly all Ex Pats there. But sometimes you just need a burger. Some of the most loved gifts that I have brought back, are t-shirts, polar fleece jackets from Malone's, Blue Frog, O'Malleys (fish and chips).

Healdsburg...
Level Contributor
8 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: shanghai restaurants

Thanks, guys!