We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visa process for UK citizens

London
Level Contributor
1,019 posts
118 reviews
Save Topic
Visa process for UK citizens

I am finding it hard to understand how to apply.

Am I right in saying that if I do it online,then I need to download and print out the relevant application forms, then arrange an appointment via the online tool too.

When I get the appointment, I bring the paperwork with me, as well as my Passport.

However, then what happens?

The appointment is no a face-to-face appointment, and the decision is made over 4 days at least, so it's not an immediate decision.

This means I leave my passport at the embassy for 4 days until they inform me on my status if my application has been approved or not?

Then I must make another journey to their London embassy to pick up my passport again, and then pay the costs?

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
2,237 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visa process for UK citizens

What about this here: visaforchina.org/LON_EN/…250057.shtml

London, United...
Level Contributor
71 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visa process for UK citizens

Hi

It's not done in the embassy any more. It's in Chancery Lane/Holborn area. The Chinese visa Application Centre

I would suggest you make an appointment on line at the same time, if not before you finish your on line application. It took us a while to gather all our info. I made the booking last Monday and the appointment was last Friday. I did not have all the supporting documents so I had to go back yesterday.

Print and double check all your paperwork. Don't forget to check on the website's note re: 16 jan 2012 : you have to provide a letter of invitation or supporting documents of your round trip tickets and hotel reservations.

The appointment is an half hour slot, eg 10 to 10:30. So when you arrived at the centre you would be give a number and you wait to be call to see a member of staff at the counter behind a pane of glass. A bit like at the bank. He look through your application and paperwork and if he's happy to go ahead you would be given a small form stating when's the earliest you could collect your passport, if you so chose. I waited 1.5 hour last Friday and 2 hours yesterday. But someone I know went along at 2pm and she didn't have to wait long.

You can choose to have a 4 day service or a 3 day express one but then you have to be there before 12, I don't know whether that means to be at the counter talking to a member of staff before 12 or got a number ticket before 12. Good job that I went there myself as I have problems and if I chose by post it would just go forth and backwards and taken far too long to know that I need someother paperwork.

The visa centre just process the application and They don't ring you or email you to let you know the outcome. So you'll only know when you got your passport in your hands. Oh, the suspense.

You leave your passport with them and could choose to pay and collect it yourself or by someone else or by post.

Does this help?

London
Level Contributor
1,019 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visa process for UK citizens

loveengland1, Thanks for the reply, very helpful indeed.

I am planning to do the application tomorrow. I will be applying online, and then taking my passport and paperwork with me. I don't want to do it by post. I know that my way I will be leaving my passport with them for a while, but that's ok.

Can you choose the day you have the appointment? Because I have work thurs-sun every week and cannot get into that part of london.

London, United...
Level Contributor
71 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visa process for UK citizens

That I do not know but I suggest you set aside a good couple of hours.

I got talking to someone whilst I was waiting yesterday. The wait was too long for them and they just got up and went. Also, someone went to the reception and complainted that she had an appointment and she'd been there an hour and still waiting. So...........

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
21,532 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visa process for UK citizens

To avoid the hassle there are a number of agencies that can get your visa. Of course, you will pay more. Whatever, make sure you take the photo.

London
Level Contributor
1,019 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visa process for UK citizens

I presume that if your appointment is earlier on in the day then there is little chance of long waits, as there would not be many people in front of you in the queue. However, if your appointment is for, say, 3pm, then I would not be surpised to see a long wait.

How much does the VISA cost?

London, United...
Level Contributor
71 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visa process for UK citizens

I think it's the other way round

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,099 posts
254 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Visa process for UK citizens

The good thing is we do not have to go to the embassies anymore in most countries.

There is now offices set up including London whre they are Visa processing facilities.

You just go online and fuirstly make an appointment to go to get your Visa.

Now you have 2 options:

I. print off the application. take with you a couple of passport photos and your passport. Sometime not often they ask for an itinery but that depends on the country. It should tell you what to take.

You could just turn up and wait when it is clear of appointees but it could be a long wait ot a short wait . best to book in advance.

Tghe other way is to do it on lin if london allows you that.

Of course you have to leave your passport behind as they have to put the label in your passport etc.

It is really a simple stress free opeeration.

Good luck

London
Level Contributor
1,019 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Visa process for UK citizens

Due to unforeseen circumstances, I cannot even print off my booking form from the internet until wednesday night (28 march).

I leave on the 22 april, and will be in Shanghai from 11 May.

Am I leaving it a bit late to apply?

Surely the process won't take a month? How long roughly before I would get an appointment at their office? Instantly?

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
21,532 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Visa process for UK citizens

Hi,

You have plenty of time in which to get a visa. A good friend of mine got his sorted in 4 days recently at the Holborn office.

Edited: 1:31 pm, March 26, 2012