We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advise on buying silk comforter via email

Brisbane
Level Contributor
110 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Advise on buying silk comforter via email

Hello has anyone delt with Qi Cai Silk Factory in Shanghai ?

My Mum in law bought a.comforter from this company 2 years ago while on holidays there. I got the email address of her and have emailed this company.

My question is they are asking for a photo copy of boyh sides of my visa card, and my passport number ???

Is this normal or even safe? I can't see why they need that and why not just my card number and expiry date ..

I did ask why but of course I am told it is safe and is needed for bank..... But a photocopy of my card and my passport number ??

Thanks for any advise....please !

Kerry

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
40,385 posts
822 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advise on buying silk comforter via email

Very often when shopping in China and using a foreign credit card they will ask to see your passport. I think they check my signature.

It has been happening more rarely in the last couple of years.

Edited: 5:41 pm, November 17, 2011
Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
23,000 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advise on buying silk comforter via email

>> I can't see why they need that and why not just my card number and expiry date .

Card-not-present transactions cost a lot more to process for the merchants, and only if the merchants are eligible to accept such kind of payment. Often they are not. With a photocopy of your card's front and back, a merchant can claim it's no longer card-not-present.

Edited: 5:57 pm, November 17, 2011
Dublin, California
Level Contributor
19,763 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advise on buying silk comforter via email

Be sure to tell your credit card company that you'll be charging at a foreign company. Maybe you can also limit the total charges so no one can use your card to charge anything else.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
110 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advise on buying silk comforter via email

Thank you all for advise and information, all seems clearer now.

Will Limmit card amount and notify my bank of overseas transaction . All great ideas.

Thanks all 8-)

Kerry

OH
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Advise on buying silk comforter via email

be sure what you got is real silk. NOw as I watched news today, there are 70% silk duvets are not filled with real silk.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Beijing, Shanghai Region, Shenzhen, Bangkok
Level Contributor
7,500 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advise on buying silk comforter via email

It is a kind common practice in China. Also know it from airlines.

IF they accept foreign credit cards, they ask for a photocopy of both sides.

Credit card payments over the phone are not too often made. They usually use online systems (for local cards) if they do payments for ordered stuff.

Passport number is a kind of identification/security. Also very usual. I always have to tell my bank my passport number on the phone for additional identification. Also it is the unique identifier in their system.

Edited: 2:41 pm, December 28, 2012
Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
5,716 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Advise on buying silk comforter via email

Quite normal to ask for passport copies .Even some CC merchants have add additional requests for security.,when booking online like messaging security number to mobile when doing online booking.

This is all because of too many CC frauds.

Miami Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Shanghai Region
Level Contributor
6,516 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Advise on buying silk comforter via email

All this paperwork is a protection against fraud, pure and simple.

I would be more concerned about the merchandise. Silk comforters come in many different weights and quality level of covers. So unless you the have store's paperwork from the first purchase, you might be unhappy.

A typical pretty good quality silk queen-sized comforter is about 450-600 yuan in Shanghai's big box stores, Walmart, Carrefours, etc. which stand behind their products.

Atlanta, Georgia
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Advise on buying silk comforter via email

Hi do you have qicai silk factory email address . I am looking to contact them about purchase please send it to me at henokmalede@yahoo.com

Northport, Alabama
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Advise on buying silk comforter via email

I, too, am looking for their address. I bought a duvet and duvet cover there in 2007. Lots of wonderful use, but it is time to replace it.

Would you please send the address to eskimolucie@gmail.com?