We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

China Eastern Airlines

Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,322 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
China Eastern Airlines

Travelling on China Eastern to New York. Anyone have any comments on service of airline? Any suggestions? Thanks

74 replies to this topic
Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
5,716 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: China Eastern Airlines

Very strict with cabin luggage,strictly 7kg for economy and 10 kg for business.you can have an additional laptop bag or a carry on handbag.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
21 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: China Eastern Airlines

To follow up on last question and answer, I am flying China Eastern from Shanghai to Hong Kong. Can I take a carryon bag weighing up to 7 kg AND a handbag?

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
12,121 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: China Eastern Airlines

No.32, your answers clearly stated in No.31, please read it again.

We were on China Eastern a few days ago, economy, Xi'an to Beijing, about 550RMB one way, new wide body airbus, full, departed on time, arrived on time, professional services not extra friendly, decent food and drinks. fast check-in and boarding, fast luggage retrieval, instant taxi no line, reached Raffles hotel by WFJ in 45 minutes, 90RMB. Uneventful but efficient flight.

Since there were so many cry babies complaining about Chinese airlines, I was paying special attention to all flights on Air China, China Southern, China Eastern and United, all within the last 14 days, making notes along the way. All perfectly normal on time flights with professional services. Nothing special to love or hate.

Edited: 3:05 am, October 24, 2013
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
21 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: China Eastern Airlines

Macbcmini, I had asked for further clarification because I wasn't sure whether, because of the special status of Hong Kong re China, there might be any difference in the policy. Also, it was not clear to me from China Eastern Airlines website whether the combined weight of the handbag and carry-on bag must be within the 7 kg limit for travelers in economy class, or whether the carry-on bag could be 7 kg and the handbag could weigh an additional amount.

MemphisTN
Level Contributor
79 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: China Eastern Airlines

Maybe it's a case of reading comprehension. CES website states: "Every passenger is only allowed to carry one piece of non-check-in baggage with a weight limit of 11 lbs(5 kg) and a volume limit of 8*16*22 inches(20x40x55 cm).". That defines the carry on limit. They state elsewhere that an additional personal item (hand bag, small computer case) can be carried. The weight limit does NOT apply to the additional personal item.

Note the web site indicates a 5kg carry on limit.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
21 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
36. Re: China Eastern Airlines

I acknowledge that I am having trouble understanding the information on the website. It says:

Cabin Baggage

For all classes, each passenger (except infants) can enjoy a free baggage allowance of one cabin bag not exceeding 56x36x23cm (22x14x9 in) in size. These dimensions include wheels, handles and side pockets. Different travel classes have different weight limits:

First Class - 15kg (33 lbs)

Business Class - 10kg (22 lbs)

Economy Class - 7kg (15 lbs). *

All First and Business Class travellers can also bring the following free of charge:

1 garment bag measuring a maximum of 20cm (8 inches) thick when folded in half, or

1 soft bag no more than 20cm (8 inches) thick

The above extra allowance as well as duty-free items will be counted as part of this cabin baggage allowance.

So to me the web site indicates a 7 kg carry on limit, and I could not find any reference to a handbag in addition to the carry-on bag for passengers in economy. The section immediately below this discusses checked luggage, but states that it is not for China mainland locations, and while I understand that the section involved checked luggage, I was not sure whether there were any different requirements for carry-on for passengers traveling from mainland China to Hong Kong. So I am looking for clarification from someone who is familiar with China Eastern Airlines policies and practices.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
12,121 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
37. Re: China Eastern Airlines

It really does not matter, Chinese by nature are not very precise people, close enough is good enough. On my flight last week, nobody check carry-on bags, my backpack was certainly more than 7KG. But I did not see anyone carrying large and heavy carry-on.

In the US, most passengers want to avoid luggage charge, majority carry very large and heavy carry-on rollers, actually very annoying, overhead storage is always full. This is not as common in China, as there is no luggage surcharge within limit. There were always lots of space in the overhead bins.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
12,121 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
38. Re: China Eastern Airlines

Gornie, follow up to your questions, you are one of the very few persons or only one in China Eastern history who actually read the entire carry-on regulations. You do not understand the Chinese culture, it is always "Horse, Horse, Tiger, Tiger." close enough is good enough. They don't have as many lawyers as you have in DC (SF is in 2nd place for having the most lawyers), they just don't use lawyers and don't like lawyers, rules and regulations are just suggestions, and only used when they really don't like you.

My suggestion is to stop worrying about it, as long as you are not too obvious, all will be fine.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
21 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
39. Re: China Eastern Airlines

Thanks for putting this in perspective. One last question, regarding your point about not being too obvious, will it be OK to use a rollerboard carry-on, which I will try to keep within the weight limit, or will the fact that it is a rollerboard signal that I might be violating the weight restrictions?

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
5,716 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
40. Re: China Eastern Airlines

They will most likely weigh your cabin bag and as long as not exceeded 7kg by much it will pass.they will not ask to weigh your additional handbag or laptop as long as they are proper handbags n laptop bags or small backpack.They are quite consistent on weighing most cabin bags as we usually carry out duties well but there is a small margin of leniency.

Reply to: China Eastern Airlines
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted