We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shanghai/Hong Kong Train Journey.

Lichfield England
2 posts
Save Topic
Shanghai/Hong Kong Train Journey.

Has anyone done this trip.? I would appreciate any information. Is it worth doing both ways? Is the food good or do I need to take food with me? I intend doing it next October. Any advice would be appreciated. Tony

Xiamen, China
Level Contributor
2,051 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shanghai/Hong Kong Train Journey.

Is it worth it? It depends on what you expect. Good food, scenic view, absolutely NO; save money, may be, if you compare that with HK/SHA/HK air fare, but you can also choose to fly from Shenzhen, a city which is one hour by ferry from Kowloon, lots of cheap fare available.

Try www.ctrip.com or www.chinatravel1.com

All I can say is, riding the train is a different style of travel, I personnaly won't take it, time is money, I rather spend more time exploring the cities than sitting on the train.

Mentioned in this post
Shenzhen
Shenzhen
Guangdong, China
St. John's...
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shanghai/Hong Kong Train Journey.

I haven't actually taken the trip from Shanghai to Hong Kong but have taken other long distance train trips in China (Chongqing-Shanghai-Beijing-Xian). If you travel in the more expensive classes you probably won't save money compared to air fare and the cheap "hard seat" would be pretty uncomfortable for such a long trip (though worth experiencing at least once on a shorter trip!). I do think that taking a long Chinese train trip is a pretty interesting experience for a foreigner and, although you might not see the most spectacular scenery, you do get fascinating glimpses of the countryside. The food was quite OK but not special. Most people take their own snacks and for drinks the train provides boiled water and you should bring a cup or thermos and tea or whatever you want. There are different classes of trains as well as different classes of seats and sleepers so it's hard to give more specific advice without knowing what class you would be travelling. One other point I read somewhere is that in China trains have a better safety record than flying, though I haven't seen statistics on it.

Anyway, good luck, and enjoy your trip whatever transportation you choose!

Elizabeth

Mentioned in this post
Shanghai
Shanghai
Shanghai Region, China
Chongqing
Chongqing
Chongqing Region, China
Xi'an
Xi'an
Shaanxi, China
Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
24,417 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shanghai/Hong Kong Train Journey.

Hong Kong people have totally different ideas about train travel.

If you are a train buff, train travel in China is interesting, but certainly not worth going both ways. Also they might still have Eastern European equipment so that might be of interest.

"Hard Sleeper" is like couchette in Europe but wihtout doors(HKD 708-730 one way), just partitions. There are quad-room soft sleepers(HKD 1025) and double-room delux soft sleepers with shared showers(HKD 1239) as well.

www.train-ticket.net/asia/china/accom.htm

Mentioned in this post
Lichfield England
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Shanghai/Hong Kong Train Journey.

Thanks folks for your help. Just to clarify my wishes: I will be travelling DeLuxe Sleeper and have all the time in the world. If I get on a plane at Shanghai and get off at Kowloon, what have I seen apart from the inside of the plane? Nothing. I want to see China. Will I enjoy the journey? I know that it takes about 24 hours, which I do not mind, as long as it is interesting. Tony

Mentioned in this post
Shanghai
Shanghai
Shanghai Region, China
Xiamen, China
Level Contributor
2,051 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shanghai/Hong Kong Train Journey.

>>>Hong Kong people have totally different ideas about train travel<<

Oops! I'd been on Blue Train in South Africa, bullet train in Japan, many trips on Eurail, and of course....China.

If your have plenty of time, and money is not a problem, I guess it's no harm to try, at least once :)

Mentioned in this post
FL, USA
7 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Shanghai/Hong Kong Train Journey.

I just came on this forum for another reason but will reply to this question. Husband and I love China train travel. It's an adventure in itself. We do travel soft sleeper which we find most comfortable. As a westerner, you'll find many approaching you to practice their English, to genuinely try to be helpful as well as staring and watching your every move and what you eat, etc. You'll create a diversion for many but with a good attitude, you'll also reap the benefit from those you meet.

We love to view the countryside, all of which you'll miss on a plane. We love to observe the people in the stations as well as the train.

One good tip...the bathrooms are closed as you approach a station. They are also cleaned prior to being locked. I'm always the first in line leaving a station. Soft sleeper cars have one western and one squat toliet.

We're looking forward to a 36 hr ride Kunming to Shijiazhuang in April.

Sewbird

Mentioned in this post
Shijiazhuang
Shijiazhuang
Hebei, China
Shanghai
Level Contributor
699 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Shanghai/Hong Kong Train Journey.

I have taken this train from Hong Kong to Shanghai in a 2 berth.

Luckily I had jetlag from a flight from Rome.

The scenery is mainly all the new industrial sites that have been built between HK and Shanghai because they build them near the train line.

The journey is quite long,we couldn't find anything we would eat in the buffet carriage and I have eaten chinese food in Asia for 10 years, so take alot of snacks.

Even in first class the toilets still are not very desirable.

When you arrive in mainland china you have to remove all your luggage from the train and walk with it through immigration, so as I travelled to carry alot of heavy luggage, it was no benefit to me and I will never do it again.

Mentioned in this post
Shanghai
Shanghai
Shanghai Region, China
Asia
Asia
World
Adelaide, South...
Level Contributor
16 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Shanghai/Hong Kong Train Journey.

We made this trip from Hong Kong at the end of March. We went soft sleeper but were the only two in the cabin. This was very cumfy with plenty of room. Although it is a night trip you get to see plenty of the countryside during the daylight hours. At the Hong Kong end there is some spectacular mountain scenery. We took our own food but also ate the bowl of pear and watermelon that was being sold for a few yuan. There was a choice of western and squat toilets which were in reasonable condition. Overall an enjoyable and interesting way to see China. However we did fly back via Shenzen which was similar to the soft sleeper fare.

Mentioned in this post
Shenzhen
Shenzhen
Guangdong, China