We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice please on possible trip to Shanghai

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
43 posts
101 reviews
Advice please on possible trip to Shanghai

My husband may have an opportunity for 3 days of work in Shanghai in Sept. I would love to come and we would like to go to Beijing as well. It seems very possible to fly into Shanghai and fly home from Bejing. I read on this forum that it might be difficult to get train tickets due to the Expo. It will take a while to firm up the job. Will we be able to get transportation within China? We could probably afford to stay 10-14 days. Should we try to find a travel agent there to help. We usually do all travel on our own but China may v ery different.

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
2,754 posts
26 reviews
1. Re: Advice please on possible trip to Shanghai

for the train tickets, yes, it is quite hard to get the tickets these days, some times are sold out 4 days before the date ( the tickets are available 11 days in advance), i will suggest you to ask your hotel whether they can purchase the tickets for you or not. you can choose to plan the trip by your own you must figure out which cities and how many days you want to spend.

Rochester, Michigan
Level Contributor
722 posts
36 reviews
2. Re: Advice please on possible trip to Shanghai

You could fly instead of taking the train - look on sites like ctrip.com to see prices - there are lots of flights available - currently 810 rmb seems to be the cheapest but often that will come down closer to the flying date.

Marietta, GA
Level Contributor
36 posts
24 reviews
3. Re: Advice please on possible trip to Shanghai

Thank you for the responses. It seems it might be safe to try to plan the trip and then be sure we get a train or plane ticket as soon as possible.

Shanghai ,China
Level Contributor
178 posts
4. Re: Advice please on possible trip to Shanghai

Yes plan ur trip first and then buy the tickets . It will be more efficinet by flying , the earlier you book the plan ticket , the cheaper the rate will be. you can use www.ctrip.com

Have a nice trip !

5. Re: Advice please on possible trip to Shanghai

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, January 08, 2011