We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New to Shanghai

Which Shanghai hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Malaysia
2 posts
Save Topic
New to Shanghai

Hi,

I will be travelling with my girlfriend to Macau early January and will be going down to Shanghai for around 5 nights. What are the nearest flights to Shanghai from Macau and approximately how much would I be looking to pay? I've heard it is cheaper for me to fly from Zhuhai, is that true? Just a 1-way ticket cos we'll head down to Shenzhen and HK after that.

Also, any suggestions on where we should stay? Nothing classy but just really average hotels, maybe with a good location

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Jeremy

Xiamen, China
Level Contributor
2,051 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New to Shanghai

I thought Zhuhai airport was closed few year ago!!!

You can fly direct from Macau, or take a turbojet to Shenzhen fuyong airport. 5 nights in Shanghai would be too long, I suggest you to take a side trip to Suzhou/Hangzhou...

www.zuji.com

www.ctrip.com

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
13,250 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: New to Shanghai

What's your budget like?

Malaysia
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: New to Shanghai

Thanks for the reply guys. Yeah we will make a side trip to one of those places while we're down in Shanghai. Maybe both if we feel like it.

Bari, is it really neccessary to book a hotel at those Zhuhai hotels you mentioned? As my flight reaches in the early morning, I was thinking of just resting at the Macau airport til the Zhuhai border opens (is that true?) then grab a taxi to get the first flight out of Zhuhai airport to Shanghai. If that were the case, is it safe just hanging around Macau airport for 4/5 hrs?

taipo_babe, would flying from Macau as compared to from Zhuhai to Shanghai cost me more? Besides these 2 airports, are there any other airports nearby Macau?

ellyse, like our trip, our budget is pretty flexible. If there's something you could suggest and the price isn't exactly outrageous, I'd love to hear more.

So does anyone know if Zhuhai airport is still operational?

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
13,250 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: New to Shanghai

I'm not sure what the price of the flight from Macau to Shanghai will be, but at the moment the price of flying from Zhuhai in early Jan can be as low as 560 RMB (exclusive of tax). As far as I know, Zhuhai airport is still operational. The next closest major airport in mainland China with direct flights to Shanghai should be Guangzhou.

I recommend different hotels to different travellers because of their different criteria. What I recommend to someone with a 300 RMB budget would definitely not be the same as someone with a 1000 RMB budget! That's why I asked what your budget is.