We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel comparison

Which Shanghai hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Hotel comparison

I'm choosing between Park Hotel at Nanjing Road West and The Bund Riverside at Beijing East Road?

Any comments in terms of value for money (as both costs approximately the same), accessibility, nearest train station and how far I'd take to walk there from the hotels, the hotel itself (in terms of cleanliness, faicilities etc.) I heard from a few people that Park hotel has an 'old atmosphere', is the Bund Riverside more 'modern'?

Thank you.

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
13,254 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel comparison

I'd pick Park Hotel over Bund Riverside.

The People's Square metro interchange is right across the road from Park Hotel, whereas the nearest exit of Henan Zhonglu metro station (line 2) is about 500 metres from Bund Riverside.

I'm not entirely sure about the level of cleanliness, but Park Hotel has less complaints online about that aspect than Bund Riverside.

Singapore
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel comparison

Hi,

Thanks very much for your help. I'd probably take Park Hotel then, was just slighty concerned with the 'old atmosphere' of Park Hotel that's all. The Bund Riverside, looks pretty in the pictures.

Singapore
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel comparison

Hello,

Thank you. Park Hotel was conveniently located, though a little 'dim' (like what you mentioned). I had a good time in Shanghai.

I have another question though - I took some day tours while I was in Shanghai, would you know if it's part of the culture/custom to provide a 'tip' to the tour guide? How much is normally given/tourist for a full day guided tour? Do people normally tip the driver separately?

I known in some countries, they pass a 'bag' around and the tourists will place their tips into the 'bag' and the amount is shared between the guide and the driver. Just wondering what is the practice in Shanghai? Do you know?

Thanks.

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
13,254 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel comparison

No, no tipping required for either guide or driver; unless they've done something really out-of-the-ordinary for you.

Shanghai
Level Contributor
699 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel comparison

Thanks Ellyse, if we can only make a small impact on this need for tipping that is definitely an American invention, Asia might be a more enjoyable and attractive holiday destination.

In Asia staff are paid for the job they do in any service industry.

Their expection is no more than a thankyou.

When a Tip is requested it goes to the company not the person actually doing the job.