We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How do I avoid getting ripped off by Taxis?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
12 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
How do I avoid getting ripped off by Taxis?

Hi All,

I will arrive in Shanghai on Saturday (yay!) And just want to confirm an approx cost of the taxi from Pudong Airport to our accommodation at Xie Tong International, otherwise known as The Bund Riverside Hotel on East Beijing Rd. (Huangpu District.)

Is there a particular taxi company or place to catch one from?

If I unfortunately do get charged way too much, is there anything I can do about it?

Is it easier to get a taxi, or should I consider the Maglev, and then Metro to Henan Zhonglu and walk up to our hotel, which I think will be about 200 metres (is this practical?)

Thank you!

Melbourne
Level Contributor
82 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: How do I avoid getting ripped off by Taxis?

Shanghai cabs are cheap and generally reliable - most are red Volkswagen Santana's - driver will push down vacant sign on dash to get meter running. Most drivers appear to be honest although none can speak English so make sure you have your destination written in both English and Chinese. Head for any large hotel and ask Concierge to translate if any problems on the way. Expect Y180/200 (about A$30/35) for 40km trip.

Maglev train is an absolute blast and well worth the hassle of finding the station. Consider a cab from Maglev to hotel if you can't be bothered walking from Maglev to Metro station and then again from metro to hotel.

Have a good trip

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
13,281 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: How do I avoid getting ripped off by Taxis?

hippo, would you like me to send my regular cabbie to pick you up at the airport? I've been using her services for quite a long time, and I've also been recommending her to friends and fellow travellers and we've all enjoyed having her around. She's friendly and very reliable, and she drives a nice comfy Buick. The only downside is that her English is pretty limited, but I can tell her where exactly you're going so that you don't need to worry about the language barrier. Alternatively if you write down the address/name in English she'll understand that as well. If that sounds good to you, drop me an email at ellyse99ATyahoo.com (replace AT with @ cos it's only to stop spammers) and we can work out the details. :)

semarang
Level Contributor
29 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How do I avoid getting ripped off by Taxis?

All the advice you have been given is excellent. I don't know how you have booked, but if you are really worried about this get the hotel car to pick you up - may cost more and not as much fun - but at least you'll get to your hotel and you can always complain once you're there. DEFINITELY print out that hotel name in Chinese. Shanghai is also very, very expensive - I've been to 52 countries and was there in July and could not believe the cost- except taxis - which are fairly cheap.!!!!!